98 GP GT spare tire area

98gpgt

Too small for a real spare. What if the spare was deflated - would it fit then? I would love to have a real spare, but not if I can't fit much else in my trunk.

Probably not... try it and report back?

I've seen people go find the biggest tire the can possibly fit and cram it in there so while its smaller its not a space saver.

What that size is I have no idea, probably trial and error to see what fits.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Too small for a real spare. What if the spare was deflated - would it fit then? I would love to have a real spare, but not if I can't fit much else in my trunk.

I'm failing to find any logic in putting a deflated tire in the spare-tire compartment.  Are you planning to carry a compressed-air tank, too?

How often do you USE the spare tire?  I go into salvage yards, I see dozens if not hundreds of new-looking compact spare tires--they've apparently never been used.

• Like 3

My spare is a tire plug kit and a foot pump. I've never had a blow out so I stopped carrying a tire long ago. My 20' jumper cables fit really nice in the spare tire well too

you could probably build a new trunk floor to get any extra height for a full size spare.

I could probably build a whole car too (and at my present rate it feels lile that's precisely what I'm doing :). Yes this did actually occur to me the other day also. Sheet metal isn't always easy to find or cheap. And everyone else is beating me up over it so I'm sorry I asked :(. Poor guy wants a spare in his trunk and everyone wants him arrested!

My spare is a tire plug kit and a foot pump. I've never had a blow out so I stopped carrying a tire long ago. My 20' jumper cables fit really nice in the spare tire well too

I bought a red fuel unit. I don't need jumper cables anymore (I don't think). I only jumped my car once, but it worked like a charm.

I could probably build a whole car too (and at my present rate it feels lile that's precisely what I'm doing :). Yes this did actually occur to me the other day also. Sheet metal isn't always easy to find or cheap. And everyone else is beating me up over it so I'm sorry I asked :(. Poor guy wants a spare in his trunk and everyone wants him arrested!

I think he was just saying an inch on top to space it above the wheel, not literally cutting the whole trunk out. Wood?

Probably moves a little faster since you don't have that 20-30lbs anymore. Probably more then that.