Front dog bone mount removal (the easy way?)

sampuppy1

So I decided to tackle the dog bone mounts on the core support. After I dicked around with them for a good 15 mins prying and pounding and generally making no progress, my redneck ingenuity kicked in. I had an old ratchet strap laying around.///

I took a cut section of the strap, tied a figure 8 on the head of the bolt with a safety knot to keep it from slipping. 3aa3eb34502793ca1d26492a1a989852.jpgSlid the bolt through the mount and hooked the ratchet end to the opposite mount plate. 32889c10bbdb3911727f27d58cdedc64.jpgThen I just started cranking away carefully until I saw the rubber begin to tear. I let the tension of the strap do all the work for removing the mount. It ripped the mount enough for the rubber to fold up and fall right out. 433d80930163c6836a130a1f2bdb11d7.jpgWorked like butter for both sides. Popped in the new poly mounts and we were good to go. e3dcfcbdb1579d2360c1ab9aff16f303.jpg

I don't know if this is a method that has already been posted but from start to finish this only took me maybe 10mins tops.///Note I did them individually leaving one mount hooked up while replacing the other. It kept the engine/trans from rotating back and eased the process of re-installing the dogbone. I should have installed new round bushings on the other end of the dog bones but it never crossed my mind until I was already into this swap. A couple sockets and a bench vise will take care of them easy enough though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I put a block of wood on a jack and put a little pressure on the oil pan. That seems to remove the tension on the dog bones.

I did them one at a time. Left one dog bone hooked up to keep the engine oriented properly. Also made it a little easier to put everything back together.

Wow! That was a really good idea Sam!

Worked pretty slick I think. Call me T-Unit, or Tyler. Either one works.

So how did you decide to use Sam in your username if your name is Tyler?

Had a dog growing up named Sam. I've used this username for over a decade for social media type accounts.