GM Tech 1 tool

oldparts

I just bought a Service Manual for 1992 Cutlass Supreme W. Almost all service procedures refer back to GM tecH 1 tool.

I just had a obd1 older unit read performance but couldn't do idle relearn, the mechanic said I didn't need that, the car after 1000 miles will relearn itself.

Should I invest in a aftermarket obd1?

Which one?

Should I still try and find a GM Tech 1 tool

Short of ABS diagnostics, there really isn't all that much value in one on a OBD 1 car. The vast majority of issues you'd ever see can be solved with regular old trouble shooting. I have a Tech1 and I've found myself using it almost exclusively for ABS.

• Confused 1

Short of ABS diagnostics, there really isn't all that much value in one on a OBD 1 car. The vast majority of issues you'd ever see can be solved with regular old trouble shooting. I have a Tech1 and I've found myself using it almost exclusively for ABS.

Depends on the tool.  A code-reader isn't worth spit.  A REAL scan tool is extremely handy.

I'm surprised that you don't use your Tech1 for engine/powertrain diagnosis.  My Snap-On MTG2500 has paid for itself with my fleet of older cars (some of them OBD II).

• Like 2

I just bought a Service Manual for 1992 Cutlass Supreme W. Almost all service procedures refer back to GM tecH 1 tool.

I just had a obd1 older unit read performance but couldn't do idle relearn, the mechanic said I didn't need that, the car after 1000 miles will relearn itself.

Should I invest in a aftermarket obd1?

Which one?

Should I still try and find a GM Tech 1 tool

The book you bought is a dealer service manual. Everything refers to the Tech1 tool because the dealer technician diagnoses a car by testing whatever the sensor in question to replicate the malfunction. They don't diagnose by looking for symptoms that will cause issues. This is why sometimes cars get misdiagnosed. 

As far as if you should find a GM Tech1 tool; I'll break it down like this: If you just want to read what the ECM is doing, you're better off with an ALDL cable and downloading TunerPro to your laptop. This will give you a place between a run of the mill code reader and a "half ass" Tech1 tool. The reason I call it "half ass" is because TunerPro can do things to control the computer like change the base idle point (say from 750 to 1000 or 1500) or lock the transmission in a certain gear, but it can't be used to do certain Tech1 specific things. Will you need a Tech1 tool to run an EGR test? Yes. ABS? Yes. But certain stuff can be done with TunerPro. One thing you should think about is that your car is a 1992, you can use a paper clip and jump the 2 pins on the top row, furthest right of the ALDL connector, under the dash. You read the codes by watching the lights blink. For example, 3 sequential blinks followed by 5 sequential blinks means the engine is throwing code 35. Code 35 is related to the IAC valve. At that point, you can reference the manual, use the knowledge of what symptoms it gives you and go from there. The scan tool would be useful to run very specific tests. I'm not sure if you noticed it, but most issues take you through a handful of tests then say "replace the ECM". That's okay and all, but if the "code" in question is a symptom and not the problem, it complicates things. The ECM doesn't go bad that often and most cars are still using the original ECM.

Anyways, if you're going to invest in a professional grade scan tool, factor in your current fleet of cars and make an informed decision. If your only car is this Cutlass and you don't plan on buying a new car anytime soon, then yes, a scan tool that is specific to GM OBD1 is a wise investment. If you own a car with OBD1 and OBD2, then you need a tool that scans both. These things are pricey, but are worth the coin so you might as well buy something that blankets your current and future needs. 

A used Snap On scanner would pay itself off and will be the same as buying a Tech1 scanner and appropriate cartridge. Professional grade scan tools will have the same operations as the Tech1 scanner concerning testing. Newer GM cars need Tech2 specifically to reprogram proprietary hardware like a radio or the anti theft system. 

TLDR: Get a scan tool that scans all of your cars if you need complex diagnostics.

Depends on the tool.  A code-reader isn't worth spit.  A REAL scan tool is extremely handy.

I'm surprised that you don't use your Tech1 for engine/powertrain diagnosis.  My Snap-On MTG2500 has paid for itself with my fleet of older cars (some of them OBD II).

In my years of being around 1G W cars, I've yet to have any engine problem that a Tech I or scantool helped me on at all (aside from PM3 issues). These cars aren't super complex. 

A Tech 1 is a nice-to-have, but far from required for general maintenance and repair.

• Like 1

I have an ALDL adapter and TunerPro RT for ALDL cars since I reprogram them and Torque Pro plus a Dongle (Android) and Touchscan (PC) for OBD-II. Have been thinking about AutoEnginuity for a few years but can't test the SRS system in my Crossfire.

Our obd-1 datastreams provide plenty of information for diagnosis. If you need it for more than one car, the MT2500 Shurkey mentioned might be the best option. Those can cover most makes/models up until 2008 or even a bit beyond that if they have the proper cartridges. The MT2500 is still a good option for your Cutlass alone if you can find one that's cheaper because it only includes the older software. It has bi-directional control just like the tech 1 which can make for some quick testing on some components.

There are also cheaper options out there if you only need the powertrain data stream.  Actron, autoxray, and otc scan tools pop up on ebay that are reasonably priced(in the $40-50 range usually).

I got an OTC one for $40 at a swap meet, does a lot of things really well, the bi directional control is spotty but you need to be trying to do weird shit like closing the egr while running to really think man the real tech 1 would be better. 

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know of a good documentation source for Tech 1 test cartridges?  I'm looking specifically for the operator manuals for the MSC (Mass Store #3000003) ) and/or the A/J/L/W FTD (#TK04070) cartridge(s).

A Tech2 can run the same tests (with an adapter); but, it uses a different diagnostic interface (OBD2 vs. OBD1) and different program cartridges. A Vetronix Mastertech T100 can run all the same tests as a Tech1 and Tech2, supports OBD1 and OBD2 interfaces (with adapters), and supports Tech1 and/or Tech2 program cartridges.

Does anyone know of a good documentation source for Tech 1 test cartridges?  I'm looking specifically for the operator manuals for the MSC (Mass Store #3000003) ) and/or the A/J/L/W FTD (#TK04070) cartridge(s).

I bought a mass storage cartridge off ebay. It was either empty or out-of-date, which wasn't a problem for me as I can update them. You do see them for sale sometimes with the last update GM already in them.

A Tech2 can run the same tests (with an adapter); but, it uses a different diagnostic interface (OBD2 vs. OBD1) and different program cartridges. A Vetronix Mastertech T100 can run all the same tests as a Tech1 and Tech2, supports OBD1 and OBD2 interfaces (with adapters), and supports Tech1 and/or Tech2 program cartridges.

With an OBD1 adapter and power cord, a tech 2 can go only back to 1992 (or 1991 Saturn). 1981-1991 requires the Tech 1. Genuine tech 2s (i.e. NOT CHINESE FAKES) are big bucks though.

Tech2 only goes back to 1992, I believe.

Edit: Beat me to it by 1 minute :showoff:

How do you go about writing a Mass Storage cart?

At least as of a couple years ago, the Mass Storage Cartridge (MSC) could be updated through the old GM Tis2Web or whatever the Java program is called for dealership flashing with a tech 2. There was  a brief time I think GM was flashing with a tech 1 and that's what you have to use. I remember when I tried writing my MSC a couple years ago, I was really skeptical everything was still going to jive well, hooking a piece of early 80s technology to a PC in 2014 or so, but it updated fine and works great. Sure beats having a hundred different cartridges for the tech 1. GM has long since abandoned the tech 2 now, let alone tech 1, but as far as I know the Tis2Web is still there. I want to say 3.2 was the last update for the MSC. If you have a MSC with something else on it, I can see if I can still update them (or you too O/P).

A local GM dealer who knows what they're doing might also be able to do it, if they're cool like that. It might help if they have a competent tech who's also old enough to have run a tech 1 frequently back in the day and still remembers stuff like the MSC.

I don't actually own a MSC, I'd like to. But for how little I use mine the different Powertrain/Chassis carts I have work.

I'd like one, But I have issues paying $100 plus for basically 1mb of storage.

I don't actually own a MSC, I'd like to. But for how little I use mine the different Powertrain/Chassis carts I have work.

I'd like one, But I have issues paying $100 plus for basically 1mb of storage.

1Mb was apparently all that was needed to fit the dozens and dozens of previous cartridges onto one single cartridge. I couldn't care less if it was 1kb as long as it still had the ability to scan every OBD1 PCM/ABS/Body system GM had from 1981 -1995 from one cartridge. Only time I ever need a different cart now is for Ford/Chrysler.

I mean, I get that. 

If I ever run across one for a decent price I'd probably buy it for the right price. But Between the carts I have I can do pretty much whatever I need to do.