Leather cleaning products

sttubs

Honestly lexol is not that great.  All in one products are not that great in general for one looking for heavy cleaning.  They are good for maintaining until the next deep cleaning. 

would recommend anything from the Meguiar's line or Mothers line.  You can find most items over the counter. 

From Meguiar;s this kit would be my top recommendation.  Comes with a cleaner and sealer to protect the leather.  It can sometimes be found locally.

8059_lg.jpg

If you can't find this kit then these two products would be good alternatives

2823_lg.jpg

2824_lg.jpg

If you can't find the gold class leather conditioner then the leather balm works well.  It's essentially a paste wax for the interior that works well and smells very nice.  Has a light cleaner built in to remove light dirt.

16434_lg.jpg

Mothers has their Leather Wash and Leather Cream that are nice as well

06410.jpg

06310.jpg

Griots has a couple items as well. 

It all comes down to what you are looking for.  Separate clean and condition steps or an all in one type product.  I would go with all three products.  Deep clean 1-2 times a year at a minimum and maintain with an all in one in between those times. 

• Like 2

Huh, I'd always heard great things about Lexol, and it's so much better than the $4 all in ones at Walmart and similar, I didn't know there was better non-professional grade products. In all fairness my GTP stays in the garage and only gets driven a few thousand miles a year, so it's not like I'm wearing it out anyway LOL

Agreed, although just slightly off topic, unless there's cattle in that picture that you're about to butcher, harvest the skin of, tan/dye it, and treat it with different leather products for a longitudinal study on the effects.

• Like 2

Huh, I'd always heard great things about Lexol, and it's so much better than the $4 all in ones at Walmart and similar, I didn't know there was better non-professional grade products. In all fairness my GTP stays in the garage and only gets driven a few thousand miles a year, so it's not like I'm wearing it out anyway LOL

There are quite a bit of posts on Autogeek and Autopia about lexol.  Both places sell some great leather products online.  I hang out over there a lot as well. 

Even the Lexol cleaner is weak compared to the Meguiar;s or Mothers cleaner.   I posted products that can be found over the counter as that is where most people buy there products.  Meguiar's, Mothers and Griot's Garage are top names to choose from for products available over the counter.

Even if you don't drive it as much it is still a good idea to take care of the leather.  I drive my 02 Camaro less than you and I actually took it up a notch and applied a quartz based coating for maximum protection.  It requires little maintenance.  As a buddy of mine says, frequent car care is easy car care :thumbsup: .   

• Like 2

My leather is black and it's starting to fade.

I've been using black shoe polish on it followed by a conditioner and it looks good but doesn't last too long.

Need something that will last longer.

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard Adam's Polishes leather and interior cleaner and then their Leather Condition is supposed to be good. I have not used the condition I don't have leather in my GP except from the steering wheel and shift knob. The interior cleaner is good stuff. I've used that a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've tried Lexol a few times, and finally gave up and threw it away. I thought I just had a bad bottle. I just bought a bottle of cleaner from Griot's, and haven't tried it yet.

find yourself some udder balm. it is used to make cow udders soft. i have used it on leather that was so hard you it sounded like you were knocking on wood. use it on trashed leather to make it soft. soft Scrub brush and tide works best to clean.