Strange Transmisson sound after spinning on Ice in Reverse

Grandprix1

So here in MD we got a little bit of snow. Well tonight all that snow turned to ice cause its 5 degrees outside. While backing into my driveway i hit a patch and my drive way is inclined a little bit i spun a lot ( in reverse) Transmisson temp was in the 50s i think from my scan gauge and engine temp was in the 170s. When i shifted it into park it made a crunch sound. This scared me because it only has 42k miles on it. So i shifted it a few more times and then it only made the sound when shifting to reverse. yes the car was stopped. Im really hopping i didnt break anything. Its the 4t65e on an 02 Grand Prix GT. I'm going to test it more tomorrow.

Thanks!

Grandprix1

Broke a mount maybe? Or weakened one

I hope its as simple as that. Its only in reverse now which is strange. I'm going to test it out tomorrow. If it continues then I may take it to the dealer and have them look at it. Transmission is one of those things I don't want to mess with myself

If you suspect the mounts, I'd start the car in neutral and have someone shift between neutral and drive and neutral and reverse to see if the engine moves.If your engine rocks at each gear change, you need new motor mounts. 

Yeah thats a good idea. Its strange though because this morning when i left for work it didnt make that sound. when i got to work it didnt make the sound. but then it made the sound any other time. Im going to give it a few days to decide if its going to make that sound or not and if it continues to do it im going to take it to a tranny shop that diagnoses for free and see what they think. I don't mind learning and fixing my car myself but something like the transmisson i don't want to mess with that.

A tranny shop will usually call you for a quote and then you find out the tranny is out of the car and in hundreds of pieces already. BTW, I love that you have a Scangauge! Mine is awesome.

A tranny shop will usually call you for a quote and then you find out the tranny is out of the car and in hundreds of pieces already. BTW, I love that you have a Scangauge! Mine is awesome.

That's not what I wanted to know haha. I mean its not like no you can't drive it I just don't think its a good idea to leave it making this sound. Not sure if its something to do with the weather but its  only reverse now and that's what I spun a lot in. Like I left rubber on the part of the driveway that wasn't iced over. The Scan Gauge is amazing. I keep mine on coolant temp and trans temp. with a shift light at 4500