'97 Shop Manual Question

Vetteman61

I have a '97 Lumina 3100.  I just ordered the two-book shop manual set for this car in near mint condition.  In the index, when I look for EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, it shows pages 8A-20-0, 8A-21-0.

The first book skips from 7A straight to 8B.  The second book goes from 8A-14-25 straight to 8A-30-1.  I have examined these closely and it is apparent no pages have been torn out or are missing.  I can't figure this out.  It's almost as though there's a 3rd book, but I have not found evidence there is a 3rd book.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks

Section 8 is always the electrical section, 8A is wiring diagrams, where the EGR is concerned are you looking for a wiring schematic? ......anything to do with an emission related problem will be in section 6.. engine components (driveability & emissions).

There is a third book for 97, it is the *TURM* book, transmission unit repair manual (section 7). Trans work is not included in either book 1 or 2. Book 1 is usually light or incar repair while book 2 is heavy repair. Section 6 will be split between the two manuals designated by either light or heavy repair.

here's the trans manual.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-CHEVROLET-CADILLAC-GMC-UNIT-REPAIR-TRANSMISSION-TRANSAXLE-SERVICE-MANUAL-/111992988402?hash=item1a134d62f2:g:2X8AAOSw8vZXMixr&vxp=mtr

Thanks for the reply, it helps me understand a little bit more of what they've done here and definitely helps in the future know where to look.  There's a notation in the front of the first book that says that this manual is a "transitional" period where the manual will contain the "old" organization method and the "new" organization method and it warns it will be confusing.  I'm used to shop manuals from the 60 and 70s, so I'm utterly confused here.

I did find some info on testing the EGR in section six since you told me to look there, but I couldn't find anything on the actual replacement of the solenoid.  I know this part only has two bolts and is very simple, but I assumed that the manual would still give a process.  I always like to read what the manual says in case it has some tips I may not know, like cleaning out the intake passage in case of carbon buildup.

Why would the rear index give a location in the book that doesn't exist?  I still can't find 8A-20 anywhere.  What thought process would I use to find the replacement procedure for the EGR? 

Can't offer you a clear explanation on the *8A-20*....your 97 manual will be laid slightly different than my older manual but the sub-sections will be the same designations. That page will be there, it is a wiring diagram,, Book 1, electrical section 8A, page 20, in my manual that page is the schematic for the *T* code engine multi-port fuel injection.

There is a table of contents at the beginning of section 8A letting you know what each wiring schematic is & on what page you go to to find it. In many cases the individual item diagrams will cover many pages & at the end there will be a *components locations* entry for the subject.

Look in Book 1 for the engine diagnostics, section 6E, there should be a few pages at the beginning on *general contents*, the various tools listed to perform diagnostic functions, pass thru those until you get to the page listed as Driveability & Emissions , the various engines installed for the model will be listed on that page. There should be a Table of Contents below for the engines & on what page you go to for the start of each section.

Section A will be Engine components/wiring diagrams/diagnostic charts.......on this page you will see the contents, below will be the listing for all the trouble codes and on which page you go to for each one

Section B will be Symptoms

Section C will be Component systems.......here you will see each component and the method of how to go about servicing the possible problem that each component can cause.

In my manual the EGR is located in chart (Section) C-7 for each engine, I would not be surprised if your manual is laid out the same.