Engine stall at high RPM

Nicutlass_Supremacy

Hi,

Last Saturday I was stuck in a traffic jam and my Redhead started to stall. I was worried because a month ago I´ve changed the timming belt. But 2 minutes after that the engine just got running idle. 5 minutes after that again, stall. The strange thing is that after stall, the engine runs fine at high rpm. So I change all spark plugs and everything was running well until yesterday. I´ve tried to go faster and the stall again, at high rpm but it ended and again running smooth at high rpm again. Could this be an ignition coil? or cables?

If the ignition coils are original id suggest changing them. I had a similar issue in my 94. How many miles(or kilometers) per gallon (or litre) are you getting?

I'm betting there are no codes.

Had similar issues with my LQ1 several times over the years. Ironically , each time was something different...

Coils once, plug wires once, and the last time was a crank position sensor.

Never set a code.

If the ignition coils are original id suggest changing them. I had a similar issue in my 94. How many miles(or kilometers) per gallon (or litre) are you getting?

I've never changed them and by the way I'm finding things probably they are original. I'm getting 6,28 km/l

I'm betting there are no codes.

Had similar issues with my LQ1 several times over the years. Ironically , each time was something different...

Coils once, plug wires once, and the last time was a crank position sensor.

Never set a code.

The only strange thing it's been happening for some time is the check gages light that wants to lit, but it doesn't, like something with a false contact.

I've never changed them and by the way I'm finding things probably they are original. I'm getting 6,28 km/l

It might be time. 6.28km/l is the equivilent of what I was getting when I had to change the coil packs on my 94. I was getting 10 miles to an American gallon. Best I got was 12. You're supposed to be getting 13 to 15 miles in city driving (about 20-25 km) and 20-25 mpg on highways (35-40km) for every 3.7 liters (the equivalent of a US gallon). I'd swap out the coils first and see what happens from there. I'd suggest A/C Delco's over some knockoff chinese ones but BWD branded ones would do. They're just not as durable as the A/C Delco ones...

The only strange thing it's been happening for some time is the check gages light that wants to lit, but it doesn't, like something with a false contact.

Can you get a video of that?

• Like 1

I'd suggest A/C Delco's over some knockoff chinese ones but BWD branded ones would do. They're just not as durable as the A/C Delco ones...

I wouldn't even use BWD. installed one on the 90GP while my brother had it and it failed no more than one week later.  threw on a spare, used Delco one I had laying around, lasted at least the rest of the year he owned it.

Is that figure based on city or highway?

A DOHC/4T60E in healthy form will normally do approx 11 or 12L/100K or 1L/9 Kms on the highway driven conservatively, that's the equivalent of approx 25 miles per US gallon, so if your figure is based on a highway rating you're using more than that. What are your driving habits? 

• Like 1

Is that figure based on city or highway?

A DOHC/4T60E in healthy form will normally do approx 11 or 12L/100K or 1L/9 Kms on the highway driven conservatively, that's the equivalent of approx 25 miles per US gallon, so if your figure is based on a highway rating you're using more than that. What are your driving habits? 

A mixed city/highway, but most city driving.

Check for vacuum leaks first.

I found that the power brake vacuum hose was kind of fluffy at the engine side, and somehow loose. I´ve tightened that and the engine change a little. Now I don´t have problems at high rpm but now sometimes at idle there´s some missing. I´m planning to change that hose and continue cleaning those problems.