testlight to probe ICM to ECM connector

bvc

I've not found this said anywhere else but I read that on a 91 Lumina

-connect the testlight clip to the positive terminal on battery

-turn key on

-touch the test light to the purple/white wire on the ICM's ECM connector

If the injectors pulse each time the probe is removed from the wire then the ICM is bad and should be replaced. Triggering the purple/white wire with the key on should make the ECM fire the injectors. If it does then the ignition control module should be replaced. If it does not then the ECM is what is bad.

Is this correct? I have a 91 Cutlass with a no start. The injectors pulse every time the testlight is removed. Not every time it is probed. Not sure if it should every time it is probed. Kind of like the fuel pump does not run every time you turn the key on. I figured if this was so easy and accurate, surely I would have seen this said somewhere else, but I have searched and searched and haven't found anyone else suggesting this.

Thanks!

I had a no-start scenario 2 months ago, and it turned out to be the key chip. The following morning I bought a pack of resistors from radio shack for $7, and a digital multimeter from Harbor freight for $6. Measure the resistance on the chip (between each side if the key). Put some resistors together to match that resistance as close as possible. Cut the orange wires going to the key, and twist the resistors in series with the plug, and fire up. Then once I got home, I soldered all the joints. No problem since. Search YouTube for GM key fix.

I apologise. I did not know that the VATS for Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme started in 1994.

Good luck finding a solution.