Swapping 2.8L for 3100

jbidwell10

Hi there, long time reader of the forum but I rarely post.

I have a 1988 Regal with a  2.8L that is locked up and a good 3100 from a 1995 Cutlass Supreme.  I'm looking to put the 3100 into the 1988 Regal and had a few questions for that process.  Which computer should I be using for the swap?  I've been told I should use the 2.8L computer and if so, will it plug directly into my 3100 or will I need to do some splicing?  If I do use that 2.8L computer, does not having any security chip like the 1995 car has be an issue?

I plan on dropping the whole sub-frame and using the engine/trans from the 1995 Cutlass.  In general is there anything else I should be aware of?  Thanks for all the help!  I've been looking all over online and can't seem to find a good video or webpage showing the process.  Some may not like it on here, but I do plan to run the car in a demolition derby, so I can eliminate a lot of things during the swap but more than anything I am worried about the computer.

Thanks again!

If the trans is going with the engine into the 1988, you'll have to use the 95 computer. The 4T60E in the 95 is semi computerized (still has a vacuum modulator, which I think disappeared in 96) whereas the 88's is fully mechanical with its own name (440T or 4T60. E wasn't added until  1990 or so). You'll probably have to swap the wiring harness to get the features of the trans to work like the TCC solenoid and stuff. I'd preferably get a 93 computer to get full OBD1 but you should be okay AFAIK with the 1.5 computer.

The security chip is a basic chip, it's not BCM controlled like in modern cars. The VATS key was independent from the ECU. You can swap around computers and the body's electronics work fine. W bodies didn't have a BCM until 1997. 88-96 relied on an ECU alone and their only real antitheft were the locking steering wheel and the VATS key. Airbags (94-96) had their own "brain" under the seat but not connected to the ECU.

• 4 weeks later...

Use the trans that is in the 88 and the ecm from the 2.8 as well.

If the 95 doesn't have the coolant temp sensor for the Guage/light in the rear head you will have to install a 3 wire temp sensor where the 2 wire is.

The throttle cable from the 95 is needed as well.

If your '88 has a 3spd you will have to rig up a kick down cable linkage on the throttle body some how. I welded a bracket to the throttle body myself, wasn't perfect but it made it drivable.

Sure there may be some other things that I'm missing since it has been about 6 years since I swapped my old lumina!