Manual transmission swap

vorador

Ok I'm new so sorry if I'm not in the right spot. I have a 94 grand prix se 3100 sfi v6 and 4t60e tranny. The transmission just capped out and if I'm going to replace it ild rather have a manual....just cuz I like shifting. A friend told me a 95 sunbird gt tranny would fit without mods. Just switch the computer hookup. I believe the transmission on the sunbird is a getrag 282. Mg2. So the question is is this true? If not what would it intail?

It's a fairly involved swap, but worth it I think.  The hardest part would be locating all the parts.  

The F40 didn't come out until 2006.  That's a far more involved swap.

• Like 1

This has been discussed probably hundreds of times on this forum, please search.  IIRC, the J-body 282 is not bolt-on and go and more importantly, that doesn't solve for parts like the pedal mounting brackets, clutch hydraulics, etc.  

I would not attempt this swap without a donor 5-speed W, IMHO.

This has been discussed probably hundreds of times on this forum, please search.  IIRC, the J-body 282 is not bolt-on and go and more importantly, that doesn't solve for parts like the pedal mounting brackets, clutch hydraulics, etc.  

I would not attempt this swap without a donor 5-speed W, IMHO.

J-body 282 should be a bolt on.  The problem is that a 95 is a 4 cylinder.  That trans won't bolt up to the V6 as I recall.  

I've never looked close at one of these transmissions, but I've been through a bunch of other standards.

The 282 doesn't have a separate bellhousing like most standards do?

I've never looked close at one of these transmissions, but I've been through a bunch of other standards.

The 282 doesn't have a separate bellhousing like most standards do?

It requires the disassembly of the shift rails and a new detent cover to swap them.  But if he's talking about using a trans that he has available to him, swapping the housing doesn't help much.

J-body 282 should be a bolt on.  The problem is that a 95 is a 4 cylinder.  That trans won't bolt up to the V6 as I recall.  

The 5 speed Quad 4 won't bolt on. The 2.2 does. That uses the GM Metric bellhouse pattern.