Auxiliary damper - rear suspension

95GS

When I bought new rear struts, they came with 2 identical bolts - each approx. 3" x 1/4" - for compressing the auxiliary dampers (connected to rear lateral links) while changing the struts.

I neglected to keep/misplaced these bolts.

Now that I'm changing the cross member (95 Regal), I see these bolts could be useful.

Does anyone know the length/diameter/thread pitch of these bolts?

Great - thank you both for these timely answers (+ link & photo!). Nice paint job.

Yes, they are Monroe Sensa-tracs from Canadian Tire.

I wasn't aware these were the softest ride, but apparently OEM replacements, and work for me.

The previous set froze solid at the end of one winter, when temps dipped low. Not soft at all.

Woops, if a 10 mm x 1.5 threads in to the hole then I am wrong and used the wrong bolt.

It was obviously close enough to work. :). To the thread starter: Something longer than 90mm might be better for you if you have no bench vise or other method of getting them compressed enough to start the bolt.

Yes it was close enough to work for Ron, but the available choice for me (3/8 threaded rod) only caught on one side. So switched it to the other side, now neither will hold. LOL Perhaps I made the mistake of cleaning out the holes. Then checked that M10 is indeed a little larger than 3/8, so both sides are a little stripped out. Will get some (long) M10s later today. Or the next size to hold. Not a problem. 

Thanks both - great tips, good intentions  :)

once you have those things in place it's not a bad idea to put a blob of Grease or silicone in the hole to keep rust from forming on the threads in case you need to do it again

:thumbsup: Imp558

Or a liberal shot of LPS-3.

A recent surprise, the newest looking part of the car are the threads on the 4 bolts which secure the rear subframe to the unibody.

Oshawa fresh. The subframe not so much.

BTW - off topic somewhat - does one need a 'photo account' with another server to post pics here?

i.e. photobucket, picasso, etc. 

Can one post pics 'directly' like an email attachment?

Wishing to avoid more passwords, usernames, Google bot surveillance... but perhaps dreaming.

Pictures if you're on a mobile device you want to click full version on the bottom if you're viewing the website in a browser. I don't like tapatalk so I never use it

Edited by Imp558

Thank you Mfewtrail for listing the correct size bolt 10 mm x 1.5 threads.

95GS I am sorry about listing the wrong bolt size. I was just lucky I got away with using an undersized bolt, which was dangerous.

No problem Ron, no injury done. Funny thing is, one side held very tight at first go. Anyway it's all in pieces now, and yes 

thanks to mfewtrail we have the correct information and my solution to re-assembly.

It's a good day when we can learn something and help others.

Next mission - how to make the standard production car rustproof, without paying for a Tesla.