Kensun HID kits?

W30olds

Has anyone installed one of the's HID kits in their car? They have great reviews and a 2 year warranty. I read an article on HID kits and they were great reviews on the's kits. Was thinking about upgrading my factory lights to one of these kits. Just wanted to inquire if anyone was using these, or any other HID setups?

Thanks,

Andy

i have a Xentec HID setup, it works okay, but I had to modify the ballasts so they would actually output 35W to the bulb, as-is they're right around 29W to the bulb and DC operation at that. if either of my ballasts go, I'm replacing them with Zenex units, which are AC ballasts. cost a little more and I think only available on amazon, but probably worth the extra coin.

Edited by RobertISaar

I have DDM Tuning SLIM HID ballasts on my Cutlass and those are 3 1/2 years old. Have had no issues with them.

I had VVME ballasts on my Grand Am, then Transferred em to my Camaro. One of em burnt but they weren't fastened. That was 2 years ago. Replaced em and I still have em although they're not being used.

A friend of mine owns hidlook.com and I have sets from him on both cars. The prices aren't bad and the ballasts have a good lifespan, I just replaced a 3 year old set this year because a ballast finally went bad.

Edited by Imp558

I have the xentec hids in both cars. Bought 3 pair for $10 used, and I've had a pair be flaky out of the six, but that netted me two cars that eve been great with them. I had one that would intermittently go in and out, but it turned out to be a bent pin

Ordered a kensun kit today off Amazon. Went with 5000K color. Hopefully now I'll be able to see the road at night. Gets pretty dark on these backwoods here at night.

Wow. I'm just reading this post and wouldn't go hid ever again. I had a hid kit and though the brightness was good, bulb lifespan was way too short! Granted i had a cheap setup off Amazon but 4 months was horrible. When i went to replace the bulbs, the salesman suggested LED instead. I'm a believer! Same price, brighter, easier to install (no ballast) and that was a year ago. I'll post the brand later but the key seems to be to get a 3 led bulb.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Wow. I'm just reading this post and wouldn't go hid ever again. I had a hid kit and though the brightness was good, bulb lifespan was way too short! Granted i had a cheap setup off Amazon but 4 months was horrible. When i went to replace the bulbs, the salesman suggested LED instead. I'm a believer! Same price, brighter, easier to install (no ballast) and that was a year ago. I'll post the brand later but the key seems to be to get a 3 led bulb.

There's quite a difference between $5 HID bulbs and the more expensive ones. The ballasts also make a difference. I've seen tests showing some factory bulbs having 2-3x more light output over generic cheap ones for example. Those bulbs also last a really long time in my experience. I regularly see 10-15 year old cars on their factory bulbs.

Maybe so, but aftermarket are never as good as factory originals so what you're talking about is still apples and oranges. So saying some factory bulbs last 10-15 years so buying expensive aftermarket still be great too doesn't make sense.

Maybe so, but aftermarket are never as good as factory originals so what you're talking about is still apples and oranges. So saying some factory bulbs last 10-15 years so buying expensive aftermarket still be great too doesn't make sense.

I was just relating my experience with the cheap vs factory after reading your four months comment. OEM quality bulbs are a lot more reasonable these days than years ago. $40 per bulb or thereabout for Osram bulbs that came in many cars from the factory for example. I can buy a whole factory setup for $100 or less used just for what it's worth so that would be the route I would take if I were doing a hid conversion. The biggest hurdle would be fitting proper projectors if re-using some from a factory car. I realize the LED headlights are relatively inexpensive by the way. Got any photos of those at night? I assume you have them in mini-quads on a Z34 judging by your username.

HID kit shipped. Should be here this Friday Aug. 10th. Hopefully I will get them installed Friday evening if all goes well. I will do a write up once I get them up and going to see how they do. Thanks for the info guys.

Mfewtrail asked about pics at night. I took a few tonight. The ones against the wall was about 35 yards out and i was o.k. a slight slope pointing down. Honestly i can easily see the light casting about 75 yards away. And no, the bulbs literally plug in with no other mods required. That being said...post-4121-147081200719.jpgpost-4121-147081201497.jpgpost-4121-147081202505.jpgpost-4121-14708120327.jpg

Mfewtrail asked about pics at night. I took a few tonight. The ones against the wall was about 35 yards out and i was o.k. a slight slope pointing down. Honestly i can easily see the light casting about 75 yards away. And no, the bulbs literally plug in with no other mods required. That being said... 20160810_000258.jpg 20160810_000246.jpg 20160810_000717.jpg 20160810_000908.jpg

That's awesome! If the HID kit I've ordered doesn't live up to my expectation's then I.might give the LED's a try. Looks good! BTW which LED brand bulbs did you get and whom from?

I got them from a local vendor at a flea market but i was able to find what looks like the same brand on ebay. Just search A336 Series Super Bright LEDs17f46319bb9ee0725f85e6e0e014107d.jpg

• Like 2

I got them from a local vendor at a flea market but i was able to find what looks like the same brand on ebay. Just search A336 Series Super Bright LEDs17f46319bb9ee0725f85e6e0e014107d.jpg

Thanks for the info! Lights look awesome. My HID stuff should be here this Friday. Excited and hope they work well. Has a 2 year warranty from Kensun and I've read they stand behind theit products. We will see. Thanks again for the info

Kits here. Going to go out to the garage and install it. Everything looks top quality in the kit. Shouldn't be all that hard to install. Came super fast also! Will post when I get it installed and the headlights aimed correctly. Be back later with an update

Got the kit installed. Really easy to do. Kit is well made and nice. I tried the new headlights out. Wow what a major upgrade. I can finally see while driving at night. Road signs are super visible from quite a distance away. So I'm really happy so far with the HID's. We will see how long they last and hold up. I love the 6K color also. Very white with a hint of blue. Very good color and output for me. Glad I didn't get the 55W kit as these put out plenty of light. So I'd say at this point the the Kensun kit is amazing and affordable.

A few pics from the cockpit of the HID install. Aimed them down a bit and so far no flashes from other drivers. Sorry for the way the pics posted. They're off my pbone.

post-9404-0-01697800-1471056306_thumb.jpg

post-9404-0-39375000-1471056324_thumb.jpg