simplified wiring help

heiner921

hi yall   new to the sight  been racing a lumina for awhile but now im getting more serious into racing. anyone able to help me out with simplifing the wiring on two 96 luminas with 3100 engines.  one has a 2 connector computer and one has a 3 connector computer  both have vats. anyone that can help me eliminated all the un needed stuff for both of these cars or point me to where i can find the info that would be great. TIA!

VATS is bypassed by splicing in a resistor matching your key on the ignition cylinder harness, not sure which without a 3100 diagram in front of me. Most locksmiths can do this for you. As far as doing things to the PCM its about impossible because reasons around a non removable memcal module.

I am planning for a 3400 V6 swap in my 94 Cutlass sometime and in my research and parts gathering I was referred to the PCM out of an early 90`s 3.4 DOHC found in the Z34, GTP and some Cutlass models or similar years because you can remove the memcal and have it reprogrammed easier. I`d recommend you look into this swap as you can pretty much use your 3100 harness for the 3400 and this engine as a better aftermarket selection than a 3100 does.

What sort of racing you doing?

i got it figured out last night guys....  i used a ecu and its harness from an obd1 90 lumina 3.1L and the engine harness, swapped it to my 3100 and runs well   ecu harness has about 25 wires and a few grounds and a few power wires.   NO reprogramming was needed

i shouldnt say i race theses cars, i destroy them in demo derbies... so of these engines i have made them carbed. kinda neat

I think that may be considered suicide. I'd like to see Ford Taurus being used but I suppose they would be expected to run and move under their own power.

Since learning that W body cars are popular in derbies I was wondering what else is popular. Turns out Cavaliers are too but there's also a couple of people derbying Camrys, which I approve 100%. Not so much Accords which I would like to see. Surprising they don't derby Nissans... or better said haven't seen one. Those things are built more solidly than the Toyotas and Hondas.

Anyways, I mention it because what they do on the small cars is get bumpers from other cars that will make the cars "stronger". There's someone that was derbying a mid 90's Camry with a towncar bumper.

• 5 years later...