Flat towing a GTP

Bolt_Crank

Okay so you want the car to run so it'll have power steering but then you will drag it with another car? If it runs isn't there a chance you could just drive it?

• Like 1

what that means is

the pump is supplying pressure thru the valve body to apply the necessary clutches ...even when in neutral,

if you attempt to tow the vehicle with the drive wheels on the ground you're driving the planetary from the opposite direction. (the differential)

the output shaft is connected to the planetary (on the main shaft) via the chain drive at the end of the casing.

You stand a good chance of ruining the planetary by trying to tow in this manner.

Sometimes it is difficult for one person to drive two cars - is why I have a dolly. Prefer not to flat tow but for 30 miles with engine idling in neutral (would not want steering locked anyway) is something I have done in the past. Only real issue is that the only brakes you will have is the tow car so would want one at least 1,000 lbs heavier than the toad.

If I had a trailer or a dolly, I would definitely go that route.

I was just wondering if the transmission lubrication system still functions in neutral.

Why would anything be turning in the opposite direction? Shouldn't it be the same as coasting?

My tow vehicle is a crew cab dually... I could have someone in the car, going full throttle, and I won't move, lol.

The transmission is working... So is the engine... But it has no front clip or headlights. I bought it to swap the motor/transmission into my Z34

If I had a trailer or a dolly, I would definitely go that route.

Why would anything be turning in the opposite direction? Shouldn't it be the same as coasting?

what I meant is

you're driving the planetary from the *wrong* end (output shaft/the differential),

you could call U-haul & rent a two wheel dolly, the last time I had to do this they were approx $50.

what I meant is

you're driving the planetary from the *wrong* end (output shaft/the differential),

you could call U-haul & rent a two wheel dolly, the last time I had to do this they were approx $50.

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Unfortunately, U-haul isn't as cheap as that, for me, lol. And their website told me that my Z34 wouldn't fit the dolly when I went to pick it up.

Mayhap they don't like Grande Prairie, lol.

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Unfortunately, U-haul isn't as cheap as that, for me, lol. And their website told me that my Z34 wouldn't fit the dolly when I went to pick it up.

Mayhap they don't like Grande Prairie, lol.

?

Edmonton U-haul rents the dollies for $45, that's the same price they charge here in Toronto,

you're being too honest with them, bypass the website, deal with an outlet, if you have to do so measure the cars track width & the same for the dolly to see if the car will fit. Give them the info they need to let you rent one, tell them it's for a Dodge Shadow.  lol

Three days for a tandem axle car trailer was $119 last week (plus insurance) with Atlanta pickup and Orlando drop off, local for a day or less has to be a lot less. As mentioned deal with the shop directly.

Generic dollies are similar sized with adjustable rollers and have fit Reattas, Fieros (tow backwards with locked steering), and GTP just fine.. I use both tire straps and fore-aft tiedowns & added a small electric winch.

Strange. The dolly is not recommended for a '93 Z34 but is OK for a 93 GTP. Wonder what the difference is ? Chin spoiler height ?

Plain Lumina is OK so if the front clip is off....

Edited by Padgett

Strange. The dolly is not recommended for a '93 Z34 but is OK for a 93 GTP. Wonder what the difference is ? Chin spoiler height ?

Plain Lumina is OK so if the front clip is off....

It could have been a glitch in the website, or my truck sits too high for the dolly to sit properly. They might not factor in drop hitches... My old half ton was an approved vehicle, lol. With no lift, the receiver on my current truck is over a foot higher than the old one.

Edit: it appears to have been a glitch, as it tells me it will work now.

Mayhap I'll back road it, and hope for no cops, lol.