What does it mean if this is punctured?

jason.arthur.taylor

Here is a normal engine, looking under the hood towards the back of the vehicle:

iac_01.jpg

If this flat area here (where the arrow is pointing to) has ruptured outwards, does that mean the engine backfired?  What is this area for?  I mean what is the purpose?  It does not connect to anything that I can tell.  Does it need to be "clogged" up or closed up?  What part is this?

Also, the IAC is making clicking noise when the engine is in the on position but is not running.  Like here.  

Is this normal? 

The blue arrow in your upper picture is pointing to a machined hole in the throttle body casting. That hole comes from the factory with a steel welch plug pressed in.

It would take a severe backfire to damage that plug.

What motor is in that video?

It's just an unused plugged hole in the throttle body. You'll either want to try and plug that yourself with another plug or just replace the throttle body. They're cheap at any salvage yard.

That engine is a vortec 4.3 or 5.7.

Thanks ron350 and jman093.  I really appreciate your saving me the time of learning what that part I need to replace is called. 

Well, I had thought that flat area was designed weak to prevent a more serious explosion if the fuel mixture in this throttle body explodes for some reason.  

I have to agree if I pulled my own yes it would be cheap but the time is not free.  I think I will just solder it to plug it up.  SO much less labor.

I am also getting an engine code "Fuel Level Sensor 1 Circuit High Voltage".  What does this mean?  Is this related to the aboce clicking sounds I get when the engine is off?