Maintenance suggestions

Psych0matt

So I haven't had to do much front end work/maintenance and at some point soon it's gonna need it, along with wanting to put my lowering stuff on. The struts seems decently new (I'll have to inspect better later), so assuming they're good what are the main things I should do? Ball joints I assume, are tie rod ends something I should replace? And I was also thinking about motor/trans mounts? Cv? I'm probably going to buy things slowly over the next month or so

Which car or did you get a rascal?

Either way I`d go all out if modding, then you know you`ve got all new stuff going with new bushings. When it comes to the C-arm bushings and balljoints you can sometimes get the whole arm with the bushings and balljoint in but its going to be the Chinese stuff from the autoparts store and I`m just not fond of knock off parts.

It only takes a few minutes to check all the wheel bearings with a floor jack. Outer tie rod ends and ball joints are nice to check, or just replace if you get a deal on them.

May not be a bad idea to look around and see what has a zerk fitting and shoot some grease around too.

In all seriousness:

If it ain't broke... Don't even look at it.

Just check for play in ball joints. No sense replacing a good tie rod and mess up your toe if there is no play.

Bearings, if there is no movement or noise, leave them be.

Greasing things is not a bad idea, but sometimes can temporarily cover a ball joint noise so keep that in mind when diagnosing.

Does the car feel okay right now? Any clunks on turns or bumps? One side bumps?

In all seriousness:

If it ain't broke... Don't even look at it.

Just check for play in ball joints. No sense replacing a good tie rod and mess up your toe if there is no play.

Bearings, if there is no movement or noise, leave them be.

Greasing things is not a bad idea, but sometimes can temporarily cover a ball joint noise so keep that in mind when diagnosing.

Does the car feel okay right now? Any clunks on turns or bumps? One side bumps?

It has some popping it seems when accelerating and stooping when turning. I'll have to feel it out better, but I've noticed some small pops.

Check your vertical control arm bushing in the front as they like to rip and can cause popping noises and can also mimic a failing tierod. I had to change mine on my 06 GXP for that exact reason, because the alignment shop I took my car to couldnt align the front until those bushings were replaced.

Edited by Drummer