Cutlass Door Fun

White92Cutlass

My Cutlass convertible door wasn't opening right from the outside (handle was not broken) so I adjusted the exterior handle linkage. It opened and closed fine several times and then I shut it and locked it. Door would not open from the inside or outside after that. I have changed several of these door handles over the years and have never had this problem (I have since learned the importance of testing with a finger before shutting the door!). Anyway, i removed the top half of the door panel (as much as I could get to) and moved every rod and door jamb related mechanism I could for two hours without any luck. 

Ended up peeling the exterior door handle from the car like a banana. Started from the top and worked my way down. Only took a minute. The door handle metal was soft and pulled off the screws easily. I was then able to disconnect the rods and use the handle of a screwdriver to push the shorter rod down. Door opened right up. Wish I would have done this first as I get my door handles from pick-n-pull for $10 and can switch them in 10 minutes.

Something good did come out of this ordeal, though, Since the door panel was halfway off, I decided to do some needed repairs to the door. When we bought the car, the door check that holds the door open and also keeps it from opening too far was broken. The exterior lock rod had also come loose inside the door. I pulled the door panel completely off and reattached the lock rod. I took the door check out and found that not only was it broken, it had ripped one of the mounting holes! I pounded the ripped metal back into place. Knowing for years that I needed to replace the door check, I had been saving one from a parts car. As the door check was red, I painted it white and installed it using a couple wide washers on the bolt that had the the ripped mounting hole. It worked great! While the door panel was off, I also fabric glued the carpet edges that were starting to come off. Now to go get a door handle!

• Like 2

Glad you got it sorted.  I had this happen on my 94 once.  It IS possible to open the door from inside, but you have to be able to get your fingers on the actual latch mechanism levers itself.  It's quite a trick and as I recall, took quite a long time.

I've had that happen on the Regal, I know it's a different style door handle but after the first time I learned that if I'm fiddling with the door handle adjustment I leave the door panel off for a day just in case it decides to stick it to me.

It sounds like you adjusted the door handle too far. When adjusting it, move it just enough turns that the door opens well, and no further. It's tempting to go farther some more turns since it makes the door open nice with less travel of the handle, but what happens is the latch rod is being preloaded. Everything works fine until the door is locked. Like most cars, it cannot unlock when preloaded. Notice how doors on cars usually won't power unlock when someone is yanking on the handle? It's the same thing. At that point you either have to get the door panel off and get the latch rod released inside or break the exterior handle off the door.