LQ1 Ping

Padgett

I just noticed a sound like gentle rainfall on a tin roof when I accelerate & believe this is ping.

Have been running 87 PON, same gas as burn in other cars.

Does the '93 LQ1 require higher octane ?

not at all......if it is ping you're the first individual I've come across to experience this.

If you've got a scanner connect it & do a realtime on the engine timing while driving to see what the timing is at.

Yeah I need to do many things, seems like am further behind now that I have retired.

Any other ideas what a sound like pouring sand on tin when accelerating would be ? Also need to find the source of a "clunk" when I accelerate and decelerate. Exhaust pipe makes sense for either but not both.

well I don't associate *ping* with sand on tin....more a sound like a ball pein hammer on tempered plate.

The clunk may very well be the result of a tired engine mount, a half shaft that is talking to you.

Sand on a tin roof?

Cat converter rattling? Maybe heat shield getting loose? Slight exhaust leak? Mufflers bearings squaring out? Well IDK if `93 got those or not.

Years ago I had a clunk or banging sound on acceleration and it ended up being a cracked exhaust manifold being held together by the bolted on heat shield but that was on a 3100.

Edited by rich_e777

Took out with scan tool today. Little/No knock being sensed sitting at 35-37 degrees advance at 60 mph cruise in 5th.

Clunk sounds too loud to be internal but get on both accel and decel. Can see some engine movement but mounts look OK and just replaced the dogbone.

Look new, Delco wires. Feels strong under load it is idle or low speed where I feel  an occasional burp.

OTOH it does not seem to have a thermostat. Idle stays high for too long and was seeing 177F coolant on turnpike.

Looks like a metal hose mount on the thermostat bolt can see ears in picture, anyone know what it is ?

post-9662-0-56955600-1460840689_thumb.jpg

Seems like anything you do on this car you need to remove something else first.

Partially hidden but not forgotten,

that's the support for the coolant bypass tube that works it's way around the front of the engine above the exh manifold and meets up with the heater hose/outlet manifold on the far side of the cyl head.  

Now for the real question: how many things do I need to remove to get that support off the thermostat stud so I can remove the thermostat cover/water neck ?