Timing cover gasket 3400

R Dubya

Been a while since I've been down this far in a GM engine, and I need someone with experience to tell me if I can remove the timing cover without removing the oil pan, and will it seal properly when I reinstall it?

Felpro makes a gasket and it's like $5 on rock auto. I have the front main. Trying to seal this engine up during top end renewal.

It's been 15 years since I did my LG5 and I don't know if this cover is different than the 3.1?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out

2003 Aztek 3400 btw

Thanks. Just the paper seal or am I better off with a a good rtv? I know I'll use rtv at the bottom corners IIRC

Thanks a lot

Paper seal will work fine. Inspect for pitting around the water ports. If pitted add a little rtv in those areas. Long time no see stranger. ;)

Yeah it's been a while! Was on TGP forums last year. Was Reminiscing of it when I moved my TGP from garage to garage and logged in to say hi. I've been broadening my car collection to includes toyotas and saabs now.

Thanks for your input guys I appreciate it. Got everything I need now to get it back together.

I'm pretty sure this cover is just like the 3.1 engine, small dabs of rtv in the bottom corners near the oil pan connection IIRC?

Thanks again!

When you get that cover off don't mistake the exposed oil pan gasket under the crankshaft for a chunk of RTV, also use a decent cleaning wheel to get all the old gasket off, of all the gaskets Ive encountered the timing cover gasket has been the most stubborn to scrape off so far. Yup, just a bit of RTV at the bottom just like a 3100.

Edited by rich_e777

Nice. Thanks. Just had the trans rebuilt in the fall and he changed the oil pan gasket for me.

So no sealing against he oil pangasket? I removed the cover for cleaning and paint already and saw that gasket plain as day now. Thanks