Removing Harmonic Balancer?

ron350

I need to remove the harmonic balancer on my 96 Regal with a 3800II motor. The problem is there is only about 2 inches between the face of the balancer and the frame.

The factory service manual shows using a special balancer puller Kent-Moore J38197 with no other instructions.

Has any one ever removed a balancer from a 96 3800II w-body or used a J38197.

s-l1600.jpg38197A.jpg

Pull the passengers wheel and remove the flap-o-crap and you have a lot more room to work on it. The bolts are 1/4" 28P thread.

Like Chris said, a 3 slot balancer puller. I think mine is an OEM from AZ

Edited by Imp558

That picture above is missing parts fwiw. That tool is much like other balancer removers, just more compact. It's missing the large center screw and the other hardware that should be included.

I've done a couple of them and they weren't bad either. My bolts have been used 3 times now so I want to get new ones before I do it again. Just thinking how bad it would suck for a fatigued bolt to break off in there.

Yep. Probably suck to drill a broken bolt out from way in there, especially hardened. That's why I expected only to use them a few times. Irrational I know but hardened bolts are more brittle so it seems prudent. I should get grade 8 next, Probably never see 10.5 in that size anyway.