3800 tensioner removal

worb4me

Hi realize this is the sort of thing that plagues everybody sometimes.

Nothing jumped out at me doing a search. I know wiggle, wiggle, pry, pry. Just hasn't produced the desired results yet. Amyone know a trick to prevent this poor fool from dropping to a fetal position and sobbing. My next attempt will be attempting to obtain some skinny steel or aluminum straps from the hardware store so I can pry at two points.

If you mean the timing chain damper (6 - long thing on right side of timing chain) there should be one bolt and it should pull right off. That is for a '91 "L" since you did not say which 3800 you have.

post-9662-0-95790200-1458136565_thumb.jpg

Edited by Padgett

serpentine belt tensioner? sometimes they are broken, even on car.

You need to take a 18mm wrench to the bolt that goes through the movable pulley and turn the bolt to make the pulley drop (iirc counteclockwise, reveerse threaded bolt)  On my parents regal the bolt stripped and turned freely, requiring replacing the tensioner assembly.

If you are pulling the tensioner, you may consider an upgrade; if you car has only one elbow coolant elbow you should upgrade to the type that has two.  Often the one elbow (earlier type) has a built in metal fitting that slips into the engine and it cracks during removal.  I spent alot of time with a crowbar slowly wiggling the original elbow loose, later to find the bolt stripped during reassembly.  Later types were used on 3800 camaros and mybe 99-2000 fwd cars?

Use newer metal elbows for your repair as well.

some reading:

http://www.3800pro.com/forum/cooling-system/39239-replacing-coolant-elbows.html

serpentine belt tensioner? sometimes they are broken, even on car.

You need to take a 18mm wrench to the bolt that goes through the movable pulley and turn the bolt to make the pulley drop (iirc counteclockwise, reveerse threaded bolt)  On my parents regal the bolt stripped and turned freely, requiring replacing the tensioner assembly.

If you are pulling the tensioner, you may consider an upgrade; if you car has only one elbow coolant elbow you should upgrade to the type that has two.  Often the one elbow (earlier type) has a built in metal fitting that slips into the engine and it cracks during removal.  I spent alot of time with a crowbar slowly wiggling the original elbow loose, later to find the bolt stripped during reassembly.  Later types were used on 3800 camaros and mybe 99-2000 fwd cars?

Use newer metal elbows for your repair as well.

some reading:

http://www.3800pro.com/forum/cooling-system/39239-replacing-coolant-elbows.html

So use the tensioner assemblies from later 2ng Gen 3800`s? Same for S/C and N/A 3800`s? Mines starting to clack about some and I was about to get one but I want if there is room for improvement over original than I`m all in.

All 3 are out (the 3rd being the alternator pivot point). It wiggle around, maybe I can get the plastic elbow on (only 1 for this car) without taking it all the way off.

Are supercharged and non supercharged replacements the same? In any event it's the Camaro/Firebird unit I need to upgrade to? There are dirt cheap supercharged units on eBay right now.

• 1 month later...

Do you have all 3 bolts out?

Your 98 tensuoner should have upper and lower removable coolant elbows.

Qn2zxrb.jpg

OK, I had decided not to try and fully remove the tensioner assembly plus casting, thinking I had enough wiggle room to replace the single elbow. My assembly is identical to the one you graciously provided a picture of. Well I had a change of heart when I started eyeing a longish Stanley screwdriver. I wedged it between the casting and the engine in a suitable spot, being careful not to damage the aluminum valve cover, started tapping on it with my leatherman, got it down, pried a bit and it popped out. That was gratifying I must say. And the lower tube wasnt damaged. Now I have to clean the stuck piece of elbow out of the other port. I started another thread, I'll update that when it's completed.