First w. First transmission undertaking. Anyone wanna help?

sampuppy1

And before any of you call BS on my experience, here's some pics of the last one I did: A 4L80e out of a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD. I diagnosed this one while still in the customers vehicle. It would get warm and start shifting hard, while throwing a code for P1870 (trans component slippage). I determined it to be a bad torque converter that wasn't locking up, even while commanding 100% with my scan tool, and recommended replacement (of the TC) over a rebuild of the trans to get them by. The opted for a full rebuild due to high mileage (almost 250k miles). Overall the trans was in really good shape. It turns out that the AFL valve in the valve body (2nd valve from the top on left in the pic) was a little worn, so I went ahead and replaced it with the Sonnax kit. Other than that, the only bad part was indeed the TC (cracked clutch apply piston; apparently very common with these era 4l80s). I still went ahead and installed new seals, bushings, frictions, and steels, along with some upgraded parts. 

NCM_0412.jpg

NCM_0423.jpg

NCM_0426.jpg

NCM_0435.jpg

NCM_0446.jpg

I'm a watch collector and I service my antique ones myself and I still think rebuilding transmissions as a hobby is effed up and monotonous.

I'm a watch collector and I service my antique ones myself and I still think rebuilding transmissions as a hobby is effed up and monotonous.

Man that many small parts would be crazy. At least on this car the parts are decent sized. Everyone has their own things though. Kudos to you for being the last of the few who practice that art.

And before any of you call BS on my experience, here's some pics of the last one I did: A 4L80e out of a 2006 Silverado 2500 HD. I diagnosed this one while still in the customers vehicle. It would get warm and start shifting hard, while throwing a code for P1870 (trans component slippage). I determined it to be a bad torque converter that wasn't locking up, even while commanding 100% with my scan tool, and recommended replacement (of the TC) over a rebuild of the trans to get them by. The opted for a full rebuild due to high mileage (almost 250k miles). Overall the trans was in really good shape. It turns out that the AFL valve in the valve body (2nd valve from the top on left in the pic) was a little worn, so I went ahead and replaced it with the Sonnax kit. Other than that, the only bad part was indeed the TC (cracked clutch apply piston; apparently very common with these era 4l80s). I still went ahead and installed new seals, bushings, frictions, and steels, along with some upgraded parts.

NCM_0412.jpg

NCM_0423.jpg

NCM_0426.jpg

NCM_0435.jpg

NCM_0446.jpg

Looks pretty good. I'm just a hobby guy. I don't do mechanic work for other people except for a couple occasions when I'm bored or feeling ambitious. I don't work on stuff for people I don't know personally though. It's too much of a liability IMO.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Super cool idea with the folded paper!

I agree! If I ever pulled a valve body apart I'll be utilizing that with cardboard.

I agree! If I ever pulled a valve body apart I'll be utilizing that with cardboard.

I picked up the idea in college from my instructor when we had our section on transmissions then. Works well.

I bet it does. I'm hoping I never have to use it but with two vehicles over a quarter of a million miles into life I'm sure it's inevitable.

• 6 months later...

Well the trans was running like a dream for about six months. Then a 2016 escalade took the car's life in the form of a left turn across my lane while I was doing 45. Totaled. Borrowed a jetta for a month while searching for a new w body. Found a 2000 Regal GS.

Sent from a flagged XT1254

Tyler/T-Unit