180F thermostat

Padgett

Anyone have a part number for a 180F thermostat for an LQ1 ? I run 180F Stant Superstats in my other GM cars (and reprogram the fans to come in a little earlier) but the only Superstat listed is a 45899 195F

Running a bit cooler in a hot climate like mine seems to make everything under the hood last longer & 180F is enough to get the computer "all in".

I always run Stant. My car runs both fans at once and I use a switch under the hood to choose which fan control wire to the PCM is grounding the relays. This gives me 180 (Stat),190 (Fan) in the summer and 195 (Stat), 205 (Fan) in the winter. I change the thermostat twice a year usually but it's been running on 180 this winter because I got busy and lazy.

The one the guy at the parts store gives you when you tell him you want a 180 stat.

Most of the time they get it right, if they look like they don't give a shit about life, chances are they don't give a shit about your car. I know one guy who refuses to deviate from the recommended parts for vehicles because usually the customer doesn't know what they are doing and is just going to bring it back claiming a defective part, when in reality defective mechanic.

I very rarely go to FLAPS but even the Stant catalog does not list a 180 Superstat, just the 45899 SS and the 13899 OEM 195F.

Please just accept that I use a 180F for Florida temps in all my GM computer cars and reprogram them to match (Low Fan on at 185F/Hi at 190F and not the 210+ GM uses.

Frankly my main reason is that the AC works better running at that temp. Please just accept that and let me know who makes a 180F please. I will find out but some here mentioned they had one & the dimensions in my Stant catalog look a litte odd. Edited by Padgett

Anyone know offhand if the LQ1 t-stat is the same size as the 2.8/3.1? I have a motorad(oem for lots of cars) 180 for my 3.1 sitting here on my dresser that is part number 267-180. Made in Israel. If it's the same size you could likely use that number as a crossreference to stant if you're deadset on that brand.

Here are some LQ1 specific 180 t-stat numbers for you. Murray #3898. AC Delco 12T55D. Also Murrary 15898. By part number it appears the 60*V6's do all use the same thermostat so the motorad number will work too. I'm sure with one of those you should be able to track down a stant that will work. If not, plenty of other options above.

You really shouldn't run a colder temp thermostat unless your fans are programmed to turn on at the right time.  If you insist on running a colder themostat, go buy a WOT-TECH chip for it and have Ben program the fans for the 180 tstat.

I've found that asking for a 180* stat for about a 1991 Camaro 3.1 V6 seems to yield good results at the auto parts store.

Just ordered a Delco from Amazon. Like many things having the right part number was key. Unfortunately Stant does not seem to have a Superstat in that usage.