converting automatic olds convert to 5-speed

oldsconvert

Have a 1995 low miles oldsmobile cutlass convertible, 70K.  Found a 1992 Lumina z-34 with a 5-speed with a blown engine.  Going to pick it up (Getrag 284) in 2 weeks, any advice?

Best advise I can say is read, then read some more.

There have been quite a few people that made the switch, you'll also run into some 94+ specific issues. If you search around here you should find pretty good information.

It's a pretty easy swap, very straight forward. Just a lot of work to do it. Take your time doing it. Hardest part is going to be tearing the dash apart to replace the firewall plate ( if you choose to do so instead of grinding at the existing one ) and the pedal box will need to be changed. 

But x2 on alot of info on that around here.

• 3 weeks later...

i would really love to see a solid write up. Maybe i do one, when i get ready to do mine. 

If you dig through here enough, you will find it. I know Chris documented his first swap years ago when we did it. 

This is a good idea..minus the changes needed specifically for the 3.8 engine....

http://www.w-body.com/topic/51788-monte-carlo-z34-5-speed-swap-how-to/

My suggestion is after reading this topic, along with the posts from White93z34, 

I'm sure there is some small stuff missing from every thread that you'll need to deal with, because there always is something that comes up in projects.  

But, if you still can't figure out whats involved...it might be over your head.  Not trying to be rude, but it's pretty well laid out in these threads as to the level of involvement needed to do these swaps.