2 Tech Questions.

GPRACER

Hi all, newbie here and have 2 questions. I was recently posed with a small problem. I have been drag racing a small block dart for a few years, but now the car is an antique and I do not want to break anything, so I want to transform my daily driver into a respectable street/strip car.

I have a 1995 Grand prix se, I work as a GM technician at a dealership, so I have access to a large parts bin. I have already replaced most of the FE1 suspension components with FE3 ones, so the handling is improving.

Question 1 Can I use a 17x7.5 wheel and 235 50 17 tires on this car? It has the exact same outside diameter as the stock 205 70 15 tires. Does anyone know what backspacing I should use and if there are any problems with suspension clearance.

Question 2 Weight transfer when racing a RWD car is good, weight is transfered to the back wheels and hence traction. I'm assuming that this could be a bad thing with a FWD car. Would using a stiffer rear monoleaf enhance traction/weight transfer. The rear leaf is the last component I have to replace, as the rear of the car sags a bit lower than the front, should I use the stiffest one available?

Thanks to any/all who reply.

If you're going to race it, why go with 17's? keep the stock 16's, the stock wheels are usually light if alloys...right? or get some of those cheap/ugly ass ultra light racing wheels..and some drag radials or slicks. the bolt pattern as you probably know is 5X115mm for the GP's...on another thread here or either at gmforums, I think someone said that you would need somewhere around -38 backspacing...I'm sure someone that knows the correct backspacing you'll need will reply and correct me since I have no clue about wheels and fitting them, etc. I suppose if a stiffer rear spring were available that it would help. Also, is there room under the back in the spring housing for a larger spring or more springs...maybe jack up the rear with helper springs if possible..lol..to give it a RWD agressive stance.

Thanks for the reply, The car has original 15x6 wheels and 205 70 15 tires, I'd love to go with factory 16's, but aftermarket 17's can be had a lot cheaper. I want a good set of street racing tires, I already have a set of slicks and skinnies for the 1/4 mile.

There are aprox 12 or 15 different rear mono leaf springs available from GM, they are classified by load rating, If I go with the max load rating I'm thinking that this will be a stiffer spring.

Here this will help with Tire SIZE......http://www.secret-secret.com/turbo/DIY/tirecalc/turbotire.html

also do you have a 3.1 or 3.4L? knowing that helps alot with what you can do......

Plus is it a 2 or 4 door??

auto or 5 spd?

what all have you done yet??

and finally can you get me a deal on 98+ Buick Strut tower braces??

Jeorge,

My car is 4 door auto, 3100 SFI and auto, but I'm not concerned with the engine at all, I have been gathering parts for a 3800 sc swap and I already have a complete exhaust system from a '01 bonny ssei, I also have a pcm and an interior wiring harness, as well as some other goodies. I have access to plenty scrapped transmissions so when the time comes I'll just assemble 1 good one from the junk pile growing in my garage.

To date I have just been upgrading all the suspension so that when I do the swap I won't have a car that handle's like a bloody sponge. I have installed FE3 code front struts and springs, as well as rear springs, I have the 34mm front sway bar and bushings ordered, they had to come out of boston. The great thing about working at a dealership is free shipping!

What are you looking for in a strut tower brace? I can check prices, but by the time you add shipping and exchange, it may be just a cheap for you to buy it locally. I can certainly check though, just let me know what you want.

as for the tire size, I know I want the 235 50 17, I would just like to know if anyone else has used this size. It is an exact replacement for overall outside diameter, but it is 3cm wider. shouldn't be a problem but it would be nice to here from someone who has used this size on a W.

The tire calculator is pretty cool, 235 50 17 tires will only throw my speedo out less than 1%, now if I could only find out if they will clear all the suspension on the car I'd be in buisness.