Wobbly cam drive pulley

Bolt_Crank

While diagnosing my project car... I found a very wobbly timing belt drive pulley. The one driven by the timing chain... My Google Fu is weak, so I'm still searching, and still looking for my Haynes manual, lol.

Can the bearing/bushing be changed without yanking the whole engine apart?

I found a very wobbly timing belt drive pulley. The one driven by the timing chain...

Can the bearing/bushing be changed without yanking the whole engine apart?

Need a little more info....

you're referring to the belt drive sprocket that is driven off the intermediate shaft timing chain assembly?

that sprocket (#151) is pressed onto the front end of the intermediate shaft & meshes with the timing chain sprocket (#156) (in behind the front cover), it is held there by a single retaining bolt. It shouldn't be wobbling,

are you saying it is loose or not spinning true?

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/950612MW00-027.JPG

Yes, it's 151... It has side to side and up and down movement... When the bolt is in, and tight, it doesn't slide in and out... It just wobbles, and binds enough that the motor can't start. I think I need the bearing 155... I'm trying to see if I can change it without taking the entire thing apart.

From what I can tell, the tensioner seized up in the full tension position, which killed the bearing.

There's no *bearing* involved right at the sprocket, that item you're mistaking for a *bearing* is the front cover seal that the sprocket spins inside of. The only bearings involved are the shells inside the block that the intermediate shaft rides in. I get the impression that the retaining flange bolts that keep the shaft in place have backed off and & possibly the entire shaft is *walking*, this might be the problem you're seeing. The retaining flange is #162.

The only other *side to side* or *up & down* motion I can think of would be trashed cam bearings & the entire shaft is moving about.

^ I'm going to COMPLETELY ruin your day.....

http://cliff.hostkansas.com/images/2012/DSC030932.JPG

the camshaft retaining bolts are BEHIND the front cover....*that enormous alloy cover* that hides the front of the block, to get to the retaining bolts & the timing chain assembly that alloy cover has to come off.....

and that means a total teardown of everything driving the 4 camshafts, the alternator, the a/c pump, the power steering pump, crank pulley.......etc etc....

*do you feel the need for a stiff drink?*... :extrapuke:

I kinda figured, lol... But I bought the car for the shape everything else is in... The motor running would have been nice, while I gather parts and money for the final product... But for a hundred bucks for a near mint 1992, with new tires, my day isn't completely ruined, lol.

Thanks for the info!