03 GTP Transmission Issue

jake91

So i have a issue with the trans in my car. Taking off from a light sometimes the car takes off slow and then slams and bangs into first gear.

At first I thought it was slipping but it doesn't free rev up real high and normally catches gear by 2,500 rpm. Its almost like I'm taking off in second and then it downshifts hard.

After driving in the rain this morning it seems the conditions it happens in mostly is after wheel spin or hard driving. It will the do the clunk for the next 2-4 stops then start working find again.

What does it sound like?

Slipping?

Line pressure?

Clutch packs?

What should i do?

Pan drop and filter?

Shift kit?

Sell the car before it gets worse?

For now I'm just babying it and it seem ok but who knows how long that will last

Under suggestion of another he wanted me to go run it hard and see if i could get it to do it again then scan before i shut the car off so i did. I never got it to do it again bit I decided to check the trans fluid again and this time it look aerated and bubbly. Talked to my dad and he thinks torque converter. That would make sense to me

I think he may be right i was reading up on converters and the signs of failure.

1. Less power at low speed- for the last few months ive felt my car has lost its go from a stop. first gear used to be worthless from a stop

2. Of course the late engagement pulling away at a stop

3. Ive been hearing a very very light whirring sound for the last week from the engine bay. I just thought it was the water pump going again

I think he may be right i was reading up on converters and the signs of failure.

1. Less power at low speed- for the last few months ive felt my car has lost its go from a stop. first gear used to be worthless from a stop

2. Of course the late engagement pulling away at a stop

3. Ive been hearing a very very light whirring sound for the last week from the engine bay. I just thought it was the water pump going again

Does this "whiring" noise sound like a whiny 3100 power steering pump but coming from the trans side cover? What you describe sounds accurate to what I`m feeling in my GTP. I thought I had just loose mounts but after tightening them I drove it today and the same thing started happening again. Like you I`m just babying it down the road until my other car is ok to drive again. I changed the fluid and filter, a lot more dust in there than what my 4t60-E in the Cutlass ever made. Added about 5 quarts of dex/merc with another quart of Lucas, helped for 1 trip to work and back yesterday. Will check for low level tomorrow and would probably add more lucas if low. Not hoping it will cure it, just keep it going for a bit more.

Noise ive been noticing is more like a fuel pump but in the engine bay. But the more i think about (and now thats you mentioned the ps pump) it it may just be because its been in the low high 30's in the morning and ive been parking outside. So It is likely its just the power steering pump lol. Couldnt get it to replicate on the drive home either. Wanting to scan codes next time and also check if i can do a manual downshift to prevent it to give me a better idea.