3800 S2 NA - Water Leak Behind P/S Pump

tweak1029

I am finishing up an engine swap from a 99 Buick Park Avenue to a 99 Olds Intrigue (3.8, not 3.5). One of the holes in the block leaks water on the Park Avenue engine.

post-4315-0-99574800-1446672168_thumb.jpg

Here you see the hole that is unused on the intrigue block. The bolt impression is from me screwing a bolt in to find the right thread size to make my own plug - it was unused and unleaky.

post-4315-0-06587100-1446672177_thumb.jpg

Circled is the corresponding hole on the park avenue block - obviously a smaller hole. This one leaks water as quickly as I put it in. I've confirmed with a video (dangling phone in while adding water).

My question is, has anybody seen this on another engine, and do you know the proper thread size so I can fashion a plug for this hole? I have tried a m8x1.0 (I think, the typical 10mm bolt thread size/pitch) and it still feels too large for the threads. The park avenue was not leaking coolant when I pulled the engine, but I don't recall removing a bolt from that location.

This is very frustrating. The swap is complete with the exception of adding coolant.

EDIT: I have some taps, but it's too tight for a t-handle without removing the engine again. Also, does anybody know the fluid capacity of the torque converter?

EDIT: I wound up digging through my bolts until I found a long one that fit, then dug around more until I found a short one. Turns out it's only slightly smaller than the P/S pump mounting bolts. I think the tapped portion of the hole is very shallow and I felt it bottoming out rather than not fitting. I hope this helps anybody haivng a similar issue (though a google search prior to this post only yielded a couple of instances).