Best 2DIN DVD Player or Large Thumb Drives

pwmin

So, we got a couple new trucks at work and they didn't come as they were ordered and I'm stuck with them, so I'm wanting to upgrade the head units.  I put a JVC in the one and the stupid thing doesn't read large thumb drives, at least not well as it only reads a few folders, so I want a different one.  I have a Pioneer in my car and while I love the search feature and it can read anything, even my 2TB portable HDD, I hate that it doesn't read alphabetically.  I'm trying to search, but can't find what I'm looking for.  Does anyone know of any good double din DVD or just mp3 head units that are adept at reading large thumb drives (talking 128 and 256 GB).  I know Kenwood is the same company as JVC now, so I doubt they're any different and I've had recent single din Clarion and Power Akoustik h/u's and they both sucked ass, especially the latter. 

sorry, I meant "for" not "or" in the topic

I'm not sure as I don't have a large thumb drive but there are some pretty decent off brand/Chinese android units that can do a crap ton, I would imagine reading a large drive wouldn't be an issue

This sucks.  I can't find any videos showing what I want or any reviews.  I had this same issue when I was looking for my car.  If it wasn't for the stupid way Pioneer arranges the files, I would totally get another one.  This stupid JVC one I got doesn't even have a random feature for  USB's that I can find and some of the new Kenwoods don't have regular AUX ports....stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

I love my Sony XAV-701BT. I have never tried to use larger than a 16GB thumb drive. But i was talking to a guy at Sony tech and he told me guys have gotten larger solid state hard drives to work. It's sort of a "may work" thing, Just depends on hard drive size, brand and file type really. The radio is not meant to read large hard drives, really none are that I'm aware of.

I ended up buying a 160GB iPod. Granted it can't hold even a quarter of my music, but it integrates seamlessly with the radio and was cheaper than taking a gamble on a 500GB solid state hard drive which may or may not work properly. The Sony is nice because it has dual USB ports, so I can switch from iPod to thumb drive without unplugging anything.

I had two 160GB iPods and they both took a shit on me.  Had to talk myself into buying anything Apple in the first place and definitely won't own anything Apple again.  I tried some micro-SD mp3 players and they were okay.  The Pioneer I have and the new one we got at work both read 256 GB thumb drives perfectly except how it orders songs within folders, which is my only gripe.  Mine reads my 2GB SSD perfectly, too, it just takes like 5 minutes to read it.  Does the Sony read the files starting at 1 or by date like Pioneer?

The Sony has a library screen which allows you to view the files in multiple different ways. I usually have everything sorted in folders which makes it easy. I'm surprised you had two iPod failures. I have had a 80GB for years. I bought it used and it was pretty beat up. I have put it through hell for years and it still works fine. The 160GB just stays in the car all the time.

I have everything in folders by artist then in a subfolder by album chronologically then by track number.  Sometimes it will date the folders first and sometimes it will only date the files in the subfolders.  I had two hard drive failures.  I did have them both for a total of probably 5 years.  The old mini that my cousin gave me is still going strong after a decade, but I hardly ever use it.  The battery doesn't stay charged very long even when it's turned off, but it still works.  As much as I've searched and searched and searched, I can never find a video that shows a review of a head unit where they go through a USB drive and show you how it handles the folders and files.  If you get a chance, could you take a picture or two of your USB menu?  I've never owned anything Sony, as far as car stereo stuff, so I never even considered them.   I never really was a big fan of Pioneer head units, either, but I bought mine because I heard that they can handle the newest thumb drive technology.  There is a program that will order all of your files so they match up by date and alphabetically, but I've never tried it on my larger drives.  I'm always adding music, too, so that's not really that good of an option.