Has anyone ever added an amplifier to an existing factory tape/cd unit?

Mark 1997 Cutlass Coupe

I wanted to do an upgrade to my 97 Cutlass coupe. I really want to keep the factory radio for the look, and also to keep the steering wheel controls. I plan on finding/installing the front and rear speakers myself, and a local car audio shop said he could install an amp that would work with the factory head unit. I am assuming that when installing new speakers I would want to install thicker gauge wire to each of the speakers? I'm not getting crazy with additional subwoffers or anything like that. My car has the separate door speaker and tweeter, and of course the rear shelf speakers. I'm hoping with speakers, the amp, and his labor (which I don't have a price for yet) staying in the $500-600 range. Does that sound doable?

The first thing I get rid of in a car is the stock radio. I can't stand stock, mostly because I'd be stuck with no way to connect my phone to it and a pretty bad equalizer. However, you CAN get an amp to work with the stock radio. All it takes is line out converters and a lead to the stock radio's power supply to turn the amp on and off.

As far as price goes, 4 channel amps are not that cheap. If you find a cheap one, it may not be CEA-2006 rated, and that is an important thing. CEA-2006 basically means that the amp was tested both for RMS and peak watts and it is certified to put out the watts the manufacturer says it will put out.

The audio installer would have to install thicker wire to your car anyways to get it to run to the amp. The stock wiring goes to the radio, but you need separate wiring to connect the speakers to the amp. Nothing a reel of wire will fix. Just make sure your installer won't botch up the work. Also make sure he doesn't run the battery lead through the door jamb. That's the worst thing you can do. It's better to run it through the firewall.