A/C not working

dingles9

I recently purchased a 92 bonneville se. This is my first gm. I'm having issues with the a.c. system. My biggest concern is a fuse missing from the a.c. slot under the passenger side footwell. There isn't a fuse or wires going to it. I do not have climate control. Could this be my issue?

0a1a117ae07b4d247da6a3529c61189f.jpg

Are you sure you're reading the diagram correctly? If the car was equipped with AC, and that's the right slot, there should be contacts in there at least. . :think:

Seeing as the car isn't equipped with the optional climate control then yes that slot will be blank,

what actually is the concern with how the A/C is or is not working?

I'm not as think as you dumb I am. I'm just new to GM cars and thought maybe someone could shed some light on the situation

No one said you were dumb. I'm just asking questions to try to figure out what is wrong with it. The A/C programmer is not the same as the A/C system. As someone else already pointed out, that fuse would be for the automatic climate control.

The compressor isn't kicking on. I can't check pressure until it is either. I'm not sure if it's the clutch, relay, power source, or Freon level

Actually, even without it running, you should be able to verify at least SOME pressure in the system. There's a pressure switch that will prevent the compressor from ever switching on if it detects insufficient pressure.

The compressor isn't kicking on. I can't check pressure until it is either. I'm not sure if it's the clutch, relay, power source, or Freon level

The pressure should read high if the compressor isn't coming on. What are you getting for pressure without the compressor running? If it's high, start with testing the clutch on the compressor. Start the car and pull the relay out, jump it with a paper clip for s second or two and see if the clutch works. Then work your way backwards from there.

does your relay have a pin diagram on it? if so, the bridging the pins that the 30 and 87 wires connect to will provide power to the compressor's electromagnet.

It has to be in the wiring/switches then. Try what Saar said. Let us know the results. The clutch is likely the culprit, but confirm that first.

Its reading almost 100 right now. And do you know which pins to jump?

Do you have a set of manifold gauges?

What are you *reading* to see 100lbs?

One more thing to look at are your RPM's when you try to put the AC on. I do not know about 92 non-W's, but most cars will push the idle up while the AC compressor is on. If you get that rpm rise as soon as AC is selected, then the ECM is at least trying to kick that clutch on. In that case, then you would simply get no cold air and that idle will be high until you turn off your "AC". If that happens, then it could be the clutch, the wiring to it, the clutch relay, or the wiring to it. Proceed by doing what Robert said. If you do not have that rpm rise, the ecm is intentionally not giving you AC (yes, it has some beef with you), and, assuming your 100psi is accurate, one of the pressure sensors or the wiring to it or them could be the issue. Proceed by doing what primergray said.

Also, just a little note. I have only been around this site for a few months, but have used it for years. There really are no downers or name callers around here at all. I have never seen anyone called or implied to be called dumb or any of the like... If it were me, I would give the benefit of the doubt around here much more than elsewhere... People are trying to help.

Edited by vipmiller803

Quick update. Jumped the relay wires 30 and 87. Compressor kicked on. I was able to add some Freon to it and get cold air. Replaced the relay with a brand new one. Compressor will not kick on.

It's usually best to make the other people do the lifting if there's a possible insult involved...

When you say relay...do you mean the pressure switch? If not...try another pressure switch.

So far you ruled out the clutch and the wiring to it. Did you see the rpms move when you turned it to AC? I agree with primergray that the relay is an unlikely cause, but still not impossible. Again, if the rpm's do move, then relay/relay wiring are in question. If not, pressure switches are in question. Also, do not feed it freon unless it is low. We are assuming you are using a low only gauge. That has to dip into the low 20's for you to need to add. Don't forget that the compressor is not on full time normally, so that can make a system seem low when it is just lopsided if you only have a low gauge. If you have access to a manifold gauge set, that will give you a ton more information, especially on a system that has not functioned in a while.

Edited by vipmiller803