[Questions] 01 Buick Century

inlovewithacentury

Hi,

My name is Chris, I have a 01' Buick Century 3100 that I got off a family member. She is a bit banged up, let me explain:

(I'm just a car enthusiast who knows how to turn a wrench in the proper direction :P so be easy on me :D)

A couple years before I got the car off my mother it had an intake manifold gasket issue (which I hear is very common to the 3100) and I think when the low paid mechanic (mom was cheap) was reassembling I think he didn't put all push-rods back correctly (can't be sure again, not the greatest car mechanic EVA) and I am relatively sure the car has a sticking lifter on start (I will post videos shortly)

[i say the lifter because when the car is started an almost misty ghost white exhuast comes out. It's not fluids being burned off I'm sure of that, it smells like unspent gas. Give the car 5 minutes, the ticking in the motor goes away almost entirely and the exhuast becomes crystal clear]

[video=youtube;gzd4oW40YOo]

[video=youtube;eGjKAwYYJ6k]

First video is a Cold-Start and second is after the car has been driven a few minutes. (Please ignore my horrible commentary)

soo..... One of my original plans was to rebuild the top half of the motor from heads up to a 3400 (which in parts and kits and shiiizzz would run me around 600$) but then yesterday I got offered a 95 Regals Super Charged 3800 in running shape with only 100k miles on it (my current 3100 having 130k on it)

I'd like opinions about the videos themselves AND maybe some warnings or tips or just general will a 3400 top end rebuild work/be worth it? Will a 95 3800 sit down in a 3100s bay on a 01 Century with relatively little reworking?

Again, so sorry if posting in the wrong place and thanks a lot for any help, advice and/or opinions you give.

I'm just a guy who for some weird reason fell in love with a century.

Chris

Edited by inlovewithacentury

Sounds like either the/a pushrod(s) are out of sequence(or bent) or the/a rocker arm(s) isn't torqued to spec. IIRC on those engines you have to go back after XX:XX amount of time to see if anything settled after the initial torque down. But I would think the noise would not diminish any if it were either of those. A stuck or clogged up lifter might though. Run some Seafoam in your oil for about 100 miles and then change it and see if that helps.

soo..... One of my original plans was to rebuild the top half of the motor from heads up to a 3400 (which in parts and kits and shiiizzz would run me around 600$) but then yesterday I got offered a 95 Regals Super Charged 3800 in running shape with only 100k miles on it (my current 3100 having 130k on it)

I'd like opinions about the videos themselves AND maybe some warnings or tips or just general will a 3400 top end rebuild work/be worth it? Will a 95 3800 sit down in a 3100s bay on a 01 Century with relatively little reworking?

Again, so sorry if posting in the wrong place and thanks a lot for any help, advice and/or opinions you give.

I'm just a guy who for some weird reason fell in love with a century.

Chris

Are you sure the 95 is supercharged? As far as I can recall, there is no 1G W that was S/C from factory.

If I was you, I'd swap a 3500 in place of the 3100. I know the popular thing to do is 3800 S/C but why not be different. An LX9 is mostly a direct bolt on, but you might have to wire a thing or 2 up. I know Milzy from Milzy Motorsports is more knowledgeable in this topic. I'd send him an email. Or Ben from WOT Tech, but I'm not too sure if they specialize in LX9 swaps.

If you're serious about a 3800, I'd get something as new as possible with low mileage. S2 and S3 blocks are the same. S3 however have better connecting rods and a slightly bigger exhaust valve.