L67 Swap Questions 1988 to 1998

reliantkcar

I have a 1988 regal GS 2.8mpfi all stock.I just got a line on a 1998 regal gs l67 for short money.If I want to do a drive-train swap what do i need from the 98 and is there anything else from other cars I need?

from searches I see

engine with mounts

transmission

driver side axle

inner cup passenger side axleshaft

pcm and harness (need to splice????)

downpipe from a third car?????

custom hoses lines for fuel,coolant,power steering,transmission

I'm a cheap ass but, if the 98' has all or most of the parts I'll buy it strip it down and junk the shell and drop everything in the 88'

obliviously the goal is speed. the 1988 has absolutely no options no power windows,tilit,A/C,trunk release,power seats, has a column shift.So it should be as light as a W body can get.

what's the performance difference between the 2 bodies?

You need to get specific things out of a 95 or 96 Regal. The wiring has to be from a Regal or Monte Carlo. Same goes for the mounts, and maybe the axles. I think the PCM has to come from a 97 Grand Prix. Something to do with the BCM on later years. Not too sure on it though.

As far as the wiring, you have to swap some pins on the C100 connector.

Not sure about the dogbones but the bottom ones have to be different for sure. Look em up on rock auto, you'll probably get different P/Ns for em.

I think 98 is PK2, I know it has the pellet in the key for sure.

Ok so the 98 is in picked it up today. drove back 2 hour ride drove nice but rear end banging probably struts.peeled back rocker covers and rust poured out.everything else seems ok as far as rot. ran good even without a battery.post-11365-143689181506_thumb.jpg

post-11365-1436891815_thumb.jpg

post-11365-143689181503_thumb.jpg

bottom mounts should be the same since it is a W platform donor. Research rockauto L67 taken from other cars will have different passenger side mounts for sure.

The dogbone mounts will be different. Having a 96 regal I noticed that its' 3800 dogbone mounts are unique compared to what i recommend as a a donor, any 95-01 gen 1 or 1.5 with 3100 will work just fine. Difference is the 3100 type go over the core support, the 3800 version bolt above and below, with holes preformed in only 3800 equipped cars in the core support to access the lower bolts of the dogbone mounts. my 96 GP L67 has 3100 type mounts, and I flipped the forward rubber mount 90 degrees to firm it up. You can stick with the 2.8 dogbone mounts, but I found the 3100 type mounts to be superior, enough so that I swapped a few of my older cars to use them.

Drive axles: need to be sourced from a gen 1.5 car that had a 4t65e. that mean a 3800 monte/lum, 00-01 lumina, or the rare 97 only LQ1. Drivers side is a direct fit, passenger side needs shortened by 1/2 inch, iirc? Iit basically needs the slot where the lock ring attaches cut at teh right location, and the end ground off. You can also kitbash your two cars existing axles, The drivers side pot I think is a simple swap, but the passenger side axles is much to long to work successfully....

Donor for the engine harness does need to be a 97-98 3800 gen 1.5 for ease of installation, but the pcm could be from a few other things... something I still need to learn more about myself. I have two PCMs preprogrammed to run the same powertrain sourced from 98-99 GTPs, I have to make my harness match the PCM.

Being an '88, his subframe isn't going to have the provisions for the 3800 mounts is it? I didn't think 88-90 cars had those.

Being an '88, his subframe isn't going to have the provisions for the 3800 mounts is it? I didn't think 88-90 cars had those.

correct in that an 88 does not have the mounts on the frame as used by an LQ1, or as used 3800s on H body cars. But a W sourced L67 will bolt to the tray thing and use the same or similar hydraulic mount.

Remember that any engine that has two dogbone mounts had two lower mounts (engine and trans)

Any engine that has one single upper dogbone uses three lower mounts. Some vehicles have two lower engine mounts and one trans mount (LQ1, 3800 H body), and some have one engine mount and two trans mounts (A and U bodys)

Edited by Crazy K

I swapped a 3800 NA from a 99 Lumina into my TGP, the Lumina had every mechanical/suspension part I needed, but there wasn't much car left by the time I was done. I still had to mesh the interior and engine harness together at the C100 pinout, which was a MAJOR PITA. I would recommend getting the shop manuals for your donor vehicle and your 88 in order to have absolutely accurate wiring schematics, no margin for error on those. In my case it was mostly a matter of just figuring out how everything had been repinned. But the powers had changed significantly and I had to improvise to make it work.