In need of Mono-leaf spring!

Nicutlass_Supremacy

Hi there,

I'm in need of a new or used mono-leaf spring for my olds! Took some photos last week when I was changing oil, I knew it was bad but not that bad!!

post-7625-14368917328_thumb.jpg

post-7625-143689173295_thumb.jpg

What can I do? Make some custom iron srping leafs? Does anyone have one to sell?

Thanks!!!

A junkyard is the only place I know where to get one right now. I'm behind on my project this year or I`d have a used one with new pads ready to be sold. A long time ago members were talking about a Flex O form brand leaf but I cannot remember if it was good things or bad things that were being said. They are very easy to pull out of a junkyard car if you have the time.

ETA: I do believe that all W-body monoleafs are the same size should you be able to find one. If not I can grab one next time at the yard if they have one.

Edited by rich_e777

They are very easy to pull out of a junkyard car if you have the time.

ETA: I do believe that all W-body monoleafs are the same size should you be able to find one. If not I can grab one next time at the yard if they have one.

How do they come off exactly?

There's a cutty sedan in my yard and a gp coupe... I can get it off but he'd have to come to DC or pay stupid high shipping.

How do they come off exactly?

There's a cutty sedan in my yard and a gp coupe... I can get it off but he'd have to come to DC or pay stupid high shipping.

DC is about 10,000 miles from him.

I have a spare, but shipping it down there would cost a huge fortune.

DC is about 10,000 miles from him.

I have a spare, but shipping it down there would cost a huge fortune.

I know, but we have Dulles Airport in the start to the middle of nowhere in Virginia.... so about 40 miles away, give or take depending on which quadrant you're at and access to the interstate. I'm not saying he's gonna rush from Uruguay to DC for it but he did go to Chicago for parts once.

That's why I said the stupid high shipping. He could probably buy a plane ticket with the shipping costs..

He was visiting the states for awhile and I had traded some trim pieces for his pics from the Oshkosh airshow. The monoleaf can be removed at a yard super easy, undo the two inner retainers and then unbolt the two rear struts and let them hang, now it should be easily weaseled out. Also a similar approach to those desired rear sway bars from the 95-96 Z34 can be used to get those. IDK about shipping, never have sent anything out of the states but surely it wouldn't be tooo to much.

He was visiting the states for awhile and I had traded some trim pieces for his pics from the Oshkosh airshow. The monoleaf can be removed at a yard super easy, undo the two inner retainers and then unbolt the two rear struts and let them hang, now it should be easily weaseled out. Also a similar approach to those desired rear sway bars from the 95-96 Z34 can be used to get those. IDK about shipping, never have sent anything out of the states but surely it wouldn't be tooo to much.

You'd be surprised. I sent Matt Shantz a fairly small box at 18 lbs to Canada. He's only a few hundred miles from me. That was $70. Something the size of a leaf spring to Uruguay would be quite pricey.

From my house in CT to Montevideo calculates to $650.

post-9474-143689173451_thumb.jpg

Edited by Heartbeat1991

Thanks for those trims again!!! Next time I travel to the states I'll pay you a visit!! I was thinking to send you a christmas post card or something but I don have your adress!!

What can I do? Make some custom iron srping leafs? Does anyone have one to sell?

Funny that you mention that.

When I got my buick, I really did not like the mono leaf. I found a 3 leaf steel spring on JCWhitney. I tried to order it from them a couple of times and they would just refund my order a couple days later every time, saying they do not have it in stock. I then tracked down their supplier and it turned out to be a [to me] local spring shop, only about 10 min from my house (small world much?). I ended up buying and installing that. I had to remove the inner mounting pads from the old one (without destroying them) and glue them in the right position on the steel spring. The install was of course complicated by the mounting bolts twisting them blind nut inserts instead of just coming loose, but it made it on there eventually.

The spring shop is here in metro Detroit and is called John R Spring. I feel like if you absolutely cannot find a stock monoleaf without flying out, a comparable spring should be producible at any spring shop, not just ones around here. The only real special thing about the spring is the tapered ends that sit on the knuckle (with moog pads under them, of course :biggrin:).

Also, fyi, JCWhitney seems to have removed the spring listing now.

I don't know a lot of cars but I know some of physics and if you have a leaf spring holding your car (someone design the car frame so the weight would be carried by that spring), changing where your car is holding wouldn't be wise. Think this, if you put coil overs all the rear weight will be now over the struts that hold the shock absorbers! But that's my opinion!! Just something I was thinking and that make sense for me.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a guy here in Uruguay that might be able to bring me the leaf spring, he has an address in the states and you could send it there! How much do you want for the leaf spring?