Warning: NAPA brake pads "7265" for First-Gen W

Schurkey

I need a set of front brake pads for my First-Gen Lumina ('92 Euro 3.4). Stopped by my usual "first call" auto parts store--the local NAPA. They have seven different pad part numbers, plus a pad-and-rotor combo pack of the bottom-feeder part numbers. Of the seven pad part numbers--all of which are some variation of "7265"--the local store had five of them in stock. Of those five, NOT ONE is a Made-In-USA item. Only the so-called "ULTRA-Premium Semi-Metallic" #UP7265M was even made in North America--Mexico to be specific.

Their electronic catalog doesn't list Country of Origin, we had to look at the boxes to find out where they're made. Therefore I don't have any COO info for the "Ultra-Premium Ceramic # UP7265X" pads, or for the "Severe Duty # UP7265SD" since those were the items they didn't have in stock.

A bazillion years ago, NAPA used to advertise that some of their brake linings met D3EA certification specs. Not any more. Nothing in the catalog states the pads will--or won't--pass D3EA testing. There's only mention of "OEM quality" but nothing defining that quality, or certifying that they aren't lying about it. They even took down the "D3EA" banners and signage.

While I'm not hot to own Mexican brake pads, that's what I bought since I really despise Communist Chinese crap. Calling Communist dreck "Premium" or even "Ultra-Premium" is an insult, particularly since they aren't certified by an independent source as actually meeting minimum specs as determined by Federal Regulation.

As long as I'm venting, look carefully at the "Lifetime Warranty"; they're NOT warrantied against wearing-out. Every other failure mode is similarly excluded--contamination, abuse, etc. In other words, the warranty has so many exclusions that it's all but worthless. AND you have to have the receipt; good luck with that if it's printed on thermal paper.

While this tirade is primarily directed at NAPA; I have no doubt--but did not verify--that the same could be said about CarQuest, O'Reileys, Advance, Auto Zone, and all the rest. I may check some of these sources tomorrow--around here, NAPA is the only game in town on Sundays. (And we don't have an Advance or Auto Zone at all.)

BE CAREFUL WHEN SELECTING CURRENTLY-SUPPLIED BRAKE PADS.

I need a set of front brake pads for my First-Gen Lumina ('92 Euro 3.4). Stopped by my usual "first call" auto parts store--the local NAPA. They have seven different pad part numbers, plus a pad-and-rotor combo pack of the bottom-feeder part numbers. Of the seven pad part numbers--all of which are some variation of "7265"--the local store had five of them in stock. Of those five, NOT ONE is a Made-In-USA item. Only the so-called "ULTRA-Premium Semi-Metallic" #UP7265M was even made in North America--Mexico to be specific.

Their electronic catalog doesn't list Country of Origin, we had to look at the boxes to find out where they're made. Therefore I don't have any COO info for the "Ultra-Premium Ceramic # UP7265X" pads, or for the "Severe Duty # UP7265SD" since those were the items they didn't have in stock.

A bazillion years ago, NAPA used to advertise that some of their brake linings met D3EA certification specs. Not any more. Nothing in the catalog states the pads will--or won't--pass D3EA testing. There's only mention of "OEM quality" but nothing defining that quality, or certifying that they aren't lying about it. They even took down the "D3EA" banners and signage.

While I'm not hot to own Mexican brake pads, that's what I bought since I really despise Communist Chinese crap. Calling Communist dreck "Premium" or even "Ultra-Premium" is an insult, particularly since they aren't certified by an independent source as actually meeting minimum specs as determined by Federal Regulation.

As long as I'm venting, look carefully at the "Lifetime Warranty"; they're NOT warrantied against wearing-out. Every other failure mode is similarly excluded--contamination, abuse, etc. In other words, the warranty has so many exclusions that it's all but worthless. AND you have to have the receipt; good luck with that if it's printed on thermal paper.

While this tirade is primarily directed at NAPA; I have no doubt--but did not verify--that the same could be said about CarQuest, O'Reileys, Advance, Auto Zone, and all the rest. I may check some of these sources tomorrow--around here, NAPA is the only game in town on Sundays. (And we don't have an Advance or Auto Zone at all.)

BE CAREFUL WHEN SELECTING CURRENTLY-SUPPLIED BRAKE PADS.

ive had VERY good luck with oreillys base brand semi metallic pads(the $15 ones.) put a set on last june when i did the gen 2 rear disc swap and they are still going strong, and im VERY hard on them :). i wont run theyre premium ceremic pads, my car came with them and they ate up the rotors

I've had the top of the line brand rotors and pads on the back, and they've been fine for the past 2 years(surprised at that when I saw it in my maintenance logs last night) and have the same level pads up front with the cheap $20 O'Reilly's rotors. The pads are making noise as of the last couple weeks, I feel like the back plate came loose or something. I'm getting the squeak while not under any braking pressure.

This holds true with a lot of stuff for earlier cars, only chinese crap. I replace my girlfriend's wheel hubs about every 20,000 miles now. She drives a ton for work so that's a year for her cars.

I don't think most pad manufacturers give a crap about pads for 20+ year old family sedans that are barely worth their weight in scrap anymore. 99% of one's left are owned by people that don't care or don't have a lot of money; ergo, not much is going to go into pad quality is my guess, regardless of barely meeting any safety standards. OP, you're probably one of 3 people people that may be paying that close of attention to what goes into a brake pad for vehicles that most don't care about anymore. Just my $.02. I applaud your diligence and attention to detail when digging to the bottom of something like this. I don't think they saw you coming.:lol:

.... so the 17D376MX ACDelco severe duty pads i picked up through rockauto a couple of days ago have the D3EA sticker on the box and state "made in canada".

based on the box..... i think these are from ~1995 though, not that i think it makes too much of a difference.

.... so the 17D376MX ACDelco severe duty pads i picked up through rockauto a couple of days ago have the D3EA sticker on the box and state "made in canada".

based on the box..... i think these are from ~1995 though, not that i think it makes too much of a difference.

Nothing about COO or D3EA on the Amazon web-page for those pads...but that doesn't really mean anything. That part number could very well still represent a high-quality, high-value part today, just like it did in '95. I haven't confirmed that, though.

http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-17D376MX-Professional-Durastop-Semi-Metallic/dp/B000C9DQUU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412704122&sr=8-1&keywords=17D376MX+ACDelco

Update: NAPA pads returned for refund. I ordered Performance Friction 0376.20 pads from Amazon, which won't be here for a week. The Performance Friction web site claims everything they sell is Made In USA; and that seems to be backed-up by the ISO 9000 and ISO 14000 certificates which show US addresses for the factories. The American-made Performance Friction pads through Amazon cost just over half as much as the Mexican NAPA pads, too.

In the mean time, I had to put this vehicle back into service--so I pulled the pads from my parts car and slapped 'em into place.

Note that while NAPA brake pads for the front of the first-gen Ws all have "7265" in the part number, other companies use "376", such as AC-Delco, and Performance Friction.

Edited by Schurkey

I have around 80k on my Raybestos Quietstops, and they're not even half worn down. I think if you watch Rockauto, you can find 'em on close-out specials for $20-$30. I picked up a rear set recently, they'll probably last forever.

Warrantying pads against wear was kinda stupid to begin with, they caught up to smartasses like me who had free brake pads for 7 years in a row (on multiple vehicles). Don't be surprised.

Autozone doesn't officially warranty wear on pads. It's been discretionary for a few regional managers. But as a general rule, Autozone doesn't give anyone a hard time on warranties. They will swap out a warrantied part as many times as you bring them back.

I've had very good luck with the Adaptive One's NAPA sells. I think some are made in Canada, but unfortunately some are made in China, too. Just put some on my truck, but didn't check the country of origin.

shurkey knows and is going through what ive known for a while now....the only good stuff is the new old stock stuff.

look for your backwoods, and rich neighborhood auto parts joints, they likely have dusty boxes with US made timken's/etc.

you litterally have to look for the roughest looking boxes not the nice pretty ones lol

that said, my parts store warranties are great, more than a few 3800 cars on my accounts, and i can warranty anything for the local crew lol

fuck thermal paper...i cant wait for the irs to want receipts and i hand em a box with blank white slips