1989 Cutlass parking brake problem

Cutlass89

Hello

I have 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass with abs and problem is that parking brake doesn't work on passenger side of the car at all. Brakes itself are working just fine.

Story is that I replaced old rear brake calipers with remanufactured ones (Cardone 18-4327 / 18-4328) about a year ago, brake pads are ok (replaced them earlier), since then I'm using parking brake everywhere I can, cable is not stuck + is adjusted, but there is still no parking brake on the passenger side.

Car repair shop even replaced the new caliper with a new one (still appreciate it) and problem is still there. I can see both levers on both calipers moving correctly when parking brake is applied, but on passenger side, piston will remain in it's position. I'm pretty much out of ideas and I'm willing to take the "not-so-new" caliper apart, but I understand that only problem could be that actuator isn't working correctly on one side.

I found a post from this forum which is a bit related and said:

"I think they will automatically adjust to a point, but when you install it, you have to turn the park brake stud out of the caliper as far as it will go, and THEN attach the lever. That was my mistake when I had this problem."

Can anyone explain that part or have anyone had the same problem when installing new (remanufactured) calipers? I'm all out of ideas and have just used the car hoping using the parking brake will solve the problem but it won't.

Edited by Cutlass89

To clarify

You said that when the Parking Brake pedal is depressed you can see the parking brake lever on the drivers side rear caliper move but not the passenger side? Grab the cable leading to the suspected defective caliper and have someone operate the pedal. if nothing is felt in the cable then I bet that cable has broken at some point inside its casing and will need to be replaced, Not the caliper.

Better yet, see if you can grab the parking brake cable at the caliper with some vice grips and pull it out.

Edited by rich_e777

To clarify

You said that when the Parking Brake pedal is depressed you can see the parking brake lever on the drivers side rear caliper move but not the passenger side? Grab the cable leading to the suspected defective caliper and have someone operate the pedal. if nothing is felt in the cable then I bet that cable has broken at some point inside its casing and will need to be replaced, Not the caliper.

Better yet, see if you can grab the parking brake cable at the caliper with some vice grips and pull it out.

Both brake levers on both sides move correctly when Parking Brake pedal is depressed, cable is ok. That is the reason why repair show was ok with replacing the new caliper with a new caliper.

Not quite the answer you are looking for, but.......

if the shop you took the car to did some work on the rear brakes, why didn't they give the car back to you with the parking brakes functioning properly?

Are both park brake levers applying *fully*?.......by that I mean when you pump up the park brake pedal are both levers hard against the stops on the cable brackets?

As well, are you *pumping up the pedal* properly?.......it should take three pumps to bring on the park brake.

If its an automatic, dont worry about the parking brake :lol:

But on a serious note, there should be an adjustment on the drivers side of the car. You might need to mess around with that to get it to work.