Power Steering issues on 2001 GP GT

Eddie

Hello Everyone on the W-Body forums

Love my car, however like all cars it has its issues now and again. One of the recurring issues with the car has been the Power Steering.

It all started last August, PS worked fine but would make a loud groaning noise. Replaced Pump with Re-manufactured Pump. Still made some slight noise (kind of like a turbo charger) during really tight turns but nothing to be concerned over.

Then in May noise got even worse than before replacing the pump, luckily it was still under warranty. Noise didn't go away but Mechanic said it'll be safe to drive, just check fluid on a regular basis and if problem goes beyond noise (like no Power Assist) take it back to him. Being a shade-tree mechanic and a good friend hes not one to just throw parts at a car to fix a problem. Which is why I go to him over a shop any-day.

Then at the end of July I made a 3 hour trip out to St Augustine. On the way back lost Power Assist about an hour from home. Brought car to mechanic and he replaced the Rack and Pinion (Duralast Re-manufactured from Autozone.) and Pressure Hose. Power Steering still didn't work but noise largely went away. Replaced Pump for third time and Power Steering worked like new. Noise also went away almost completely, I was like hallelujah.

Then Power Steering went out again a few days later and the noise came back. Dropped off car at mechanic again and he replaced the rubber hose, which he said was the last non-new part in the steering system. Went back to new again, then crapped out the next day again.

I had the alignment done after the Rack and Pinion was replaced was well as the 2nd replacement PS Pump. Also when PS went out 2nd time after Rack and Pinion was replaced had some Assist when turning wheel one way but not the other. Been checking fluid religiously and has always been full. All parts I have at least have lifetime warranty. Mechanic wants to see if tightening the hose claims will help. (Not counting on it but I'll give it a shot.) I would be very appreciative of any input anyone has.

Otherwise love my car, its comfortable and other than PS has been reliable. While at the same time gets fuel economy that matches some 4 cylinder economy cars friends have, plus it doesn't leak oil or have an engine or tranny issues. Oh and no car payments.

Holy cripe! You've been to hell and back with that power steering. I have never heard of a car being that bad to eat pumps and the such. Maybe just really bad luck with reman/ aftermarket pumps. Try a AC Delco one if the pumps pukes again. Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Bringing car back to mechanic tomorrow to have him check her out again. I might just get a new AC Delco Rack and Pinion and Pump on Rockauto, have been using generic Autozone PS Fluid (Specified to work with GM Cars BTW.). Maybe all AC Delco parts as well as using Delco PS fluid might do the trick. Will keep everyone updated on what's going on. Will eat the cost on the Autozone Rack and Pinion just purchased, however time is money and I just want to get this over with. I start school on Wednesday and need this problem fixed ASAP. Being that the Grand Prix is a daily driver.

Thanks carkhz316

Edited by Eddie

Mechanic is still working on it, appears the plastic PS reservoir was leaking to the point of starving the pump from fluid. As well as a minor leak with the hose clamps. He is putting some solution around the cracks, hoping that would stop up the leak after if dries.

If that don't work I would need a new reservoir and possibly another replacement PS Pump. Even then that would still beat replacing the Rack and Pinion again. (even if it has lifetime warranty.)

Plastic Reservoir, really GM, metal reservoirs are put in vehicles with the 350 V8 and its 4.3 Liter V6 derivative. Which is what happens to be in my Astro van. (Thank Goodness) Why would it be any different with the 3800 Series II. If I could find a metal PS reservoir that could fit in my car that would be great.

Edited by Eddie

Put in a pump from Autozone (originally had a NAPA) and air is out of the system. No noise other than really tight turns at 0 MPH, even then just a mild groan. Turns better than when I originally bought the car a year and a half ago. (Before the original pump got Noisy.) Then again some more driving, as well as checking the fluid everyday for about a week or so should every get rid of that noise.

Would have bought an AC Delco but don't have the money to get one at the dealer at the moment, or the time to deal with Rockauto. When the Autozone Rack and Pinon and PS Pump croak in the coming years will get AC Delco replacements. Otherwise shouldn't have any more issues as long as the whole system isn't starving for fluid.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I should do an update as far as the car goes. When I got it back 2 weeks ago power steering would work all the time when warm, other than a slight whine during extremely tight low-speed maneuvers. However when the car warms up to operating temperature I loss power assist during those turns.

Brought it back to mechanic and he unplugged the Magnasteer from the rack to see if that was acting up. Cranked the car and said it steered great, thats when I told him to wait to it warms up. Once warm he lost all power-assist with tight turns.

So that day after getting the car back I brought it to the dealer. Dealer said that I had bad strut assemblies in the front, as well as alignment issues that would make car hard to steer. I then asked why does it steer fine when cold, then he mentioned their is more pressure in the rack and pump when hot. Meaning the less pressure in the pump when cold makes it easier to overcome the bad struts.

Needless to say a bought 2 front strut/spring assemblies off of Rockauto yesterday. I will have those installed and see if those help. If that doesn't work I will then flush Power Steering system with AC Delco Fluid ($12 a quart at dealer), figuring the viscosity of fluid has to due with this issue. If that doesn't work using the new fluid still in system I will have my mechanic change out pump and rack again.

Right now I'm figuring I've been using the wrong fluid when doing work on the system. I've used the Autozone house brand, Walmart Supertech and Valvoline with stop leak when adding fluid when my mechanic worked on the system prior to now. Using just the OEM stuff from the dealer might do the trick this time. Figuring newer cars are more picky on what you put in it. If the new fluid works great, if not using the various brands of fluid damaged the new pump and rack. Will keep posted on what goes on with the car.

I should add that I only change out the rack the one time. Thats when I brought car in for alignment (early August). The fact the dealer says car is way outta alignment is funky. Even with the worn stuts, that or the tire shop didn't tell me about that before the alignment. Well none of the less that car came out of the alignment shop with a crooked steering wheel anyways. Talked to guy at shop and he said "How do I know you just didn't hit a pothole". Won't take it back there again to say the least.

• 2 weeks later...

You are getting screwed with the strut and alignment nonsense. The magnasteer power steering assist actually comes from the abs control module. I'm not sure how it works but when my module went bad I lost my power assist.

Abs light on or ever come on?

No ABS light has even come one and have no code in the brake computer so Magnasteer has been ruled out.

Just had mechanic flush out (again) the old fluid and put in GM stuff, didn't make a difference. However the mechanic does suspect its the new pump. The only reason the last steering pump was put in was due to leaking PS reservoir. Despite pissing out fluid steering worked fine at all times with very little noise.

So he is now replacing both the pump and rack again. All dirt and old fluid has been sucked out using a machine. This is the last time he is doing this, this issue has already drained me well over a grand. Even when I wasn't using OEM steering fluid I used stuff that had the GM Part Number on it. GM's are not supposed to be real picky on fluid anyways, it isn't a Honda. Should have the verdict by Friday at the latest. System has been flushed every time work has been done. If this don't work I might sell the car, its a shame because I do like it.

BTW, Duralast is just A1-Cardone. The same thing every Auto Parts store sells. The Autozone Rack and Pump are no different than the NAPA, O'Relliys, Advanced or Carquest. At this point I wish an Auto Parts Store (or even Rockauto) would just sell a kit that can refurbish existing Pumps and Racks, like the seals and what not.

Edited by Eddie

Sorry its later than Friday but Power Steering is now working just the way it should. Put in new Rack and Pump and some of that Lucas Power Steering stop-leak. It said put in about 25% of that stuff and 75% power steering fluid, so thats what my mechanic did. All air was bleed out and the system is topped off on fluid. Power Steering is whisper quiet now, even when making tight turns at low-speed. Mechanic who did my alignment following the pump and rack replacement commented on how tight and responsive my steering was. The power steering system was pressure tested afterwards and is working as it should as well

Drove car all weekend without a problem. Including a trip to a theme park 75 miles from my house. After doing an entire suspension and steering job shouldn't have any issues with the car for a while. Car has get-up-and-go, no engine lights, fresh Tune-Up and so forth.

Being as it worked well for me I would suggest anyone who does a Rack or Steering Pump job try that Lucas stuff. For only $10 a Bottle at Autozone it's good preventative maintenance. Even if you just doing a fluid flush I would suggest using a bottle of this stuff. Won't work miracles but will prevent small leaks, quiet a noisy steering system, maybe even make it a little easier to turn. Thank you to everyone for their input.

Edited by Eddie