Returning Member just picked up a TGP!

Z34-5speed

Hey everyone!

Been away from the forum ever since I sold my 92 Z34. I think i've popped in a few times with some updates to my Turbo Geo Metro project, but have been absent otherwise...until now!

I picked this up last night for $500.

1990 TGP. Arizona Car. 72,000 miles.

Couldn't get any good pics due to shitty lighting and my cell phone, but here's what I have:

IMAG2148_zpscsrbyuhb.jpg

IMAG2150_zpsv4t2d17r.jpg

IMAG2157_zpswwibtpge.jpg

IMAG2158_zpscwtrif8x.jpg

IMAG2162_zpshzvpw1sl.jpg

IMAG2163_zpsxpept2se.jpg

IMAG2164_zpssoufeb4i.jpg

IMAG2169_zps0v0vu4d7.jpg

Story behind the getting the car:

I was driving to deliver a part to my Girlfriend's dad's shop for her truck. They live in the middle of nowhere Alabama, which I can assure you, is in the middle of nowhere. I'd only been to their "town" at night. This time it was daylight.

When I pulled into her house, I noticed the GP sitting in a driveway across the street. I asked the GF who's it was and she said it was her 19yr old Nephews (they live across the street). She said something was wrong with it and that it had been sitting. I then asked to go look at it and about fell over when I did.

Turns out:

The brake system is acting up. Needs a hydroboost setup (don't know shit about it). Is able to be moved around, but not actually driven. It is using a 96 Geo Metro master cylinder ATM, lol. My GF's dad has done the work on the car. It has a new Fuel Pump (not sure if they used the correct one, or just a regular GP pump), new Alternator, and new belts. I asked if they'd be interested in selling it. I was told $500 would take it, since they just wanted to get another car ASAP. I practically threw the money at them.

It has a few other minor issues:

The drivers side of the seat is torn. Other seats are very clean. Carpet is coming up, but also is clean. They don't know the combination to the glovebox. The gauges are a bit wonky. Tach is way off, as is the speedo, however the HUD works perfectly and the speed on it is correct. A/C works great, but the climate control panel is broken in a few spots.

CD player WORKS.

I've moved it to his shop for storage till I can either fix it there, and drive it home, or tow it here. I'll be keeping this updated!

Such excite! Wow!

Kyle

Bonus Pic of the Geo as of the other day, my current car, and my old Lumina:

DSCN1333_zps65b14a4e.jpg

IMAG1400_zpsxcvslhbj.jpg

10544663_10204173366644212_8127707478786892603_n_zps81c99287.jpg

10456124_10204173366444207_8674052709502637389_n_zpsf5273cb7.jpg

IMG_2481.jpg

Congrats on your purchase!!!

The GP... not the FT... lmao

What's wrong with the passenger's side door though? It looks as if it has holes there.

Went back and toyed with it today. Spent the vast majority of time on cleaning the bay.

Here are the results!

IMAG2189_zpsqmzrr4ip.jpg

IMAG2183_zpsfwyidn3l.jpg

IMAG2191_zpsr1oct3aw.jpg

IMAG2175_zpsjcdillhi.jpg

IMAG2177_zpssnr5lgwk.jpg

These are a few pics of before/after:

Before:

IMAG2179_zps2wlvkqbm.jpg

IMAG2181_zpsfl98ywvk.jpg

After:

IMAG2185_zpsdtifkopd.jpg

IMAG2186_zpspdlhtuxs.jpg

Wow. . What did you clean it with? And what's going on with the brakes? What are those marks on the pass side door? They kinda look like they are holes.

I used "Mean Green" degreaser, from Dollar Tree

They're not holes, just tape remnants from when they had the window covered with a tarp. Should come off with some effort.

The hydroboost (I was told) went out and they decided to put a Geo Metro master cylinder and booster on it. It kinda works, but the brakes are dragging at the moment, and the brake aren't working well enough to drive safely. That's my #1 priority on the car at the moment, so that i can drive it home.

Robert Saar repairs the clusters. Good Price, too. I would pitch that brake setup. Either go back to PMIII or at least put a W-body vacuum setup on it.

Not specific to TGP, but rare enough. I have 1 spare left. I am not sure I want to part with it just yet. I'll wait and see if anyone else chimes in.

Whats wrong with that brake setup? how it is done?

I'm not sure I would all that willingly go back to PMIII if it was gone already.

I used "Mean Green" degreaser, from Dollar Tree

They're not holes, just tape remnants from when they had the window covered with a tarp. Should come off with some effort.

The hydroboost (I was told) went out and they decided to put a Geo Metro master cylinder and booster on it. It kinda works, but the brakes are dragging at the moment, and the brake aren't working well enough to drive safely. That's my #1 priority on the car at the moment, so that i can drive it home.

You should paint that plenum or have that plenum power coated. It would look so much better with a new finish.

post-9474-14368916536_thumb.jpg

Be aware that you may need the mounting plate off the firewall as well. I have serious doubts that you find one in a junk yard. But ya never know.

post-9474-143689165331_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689165349_thumb.jpg

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD]Year

Part

Model[/TD]

[TD]Description[/TD]

[TD]Part

Grade[/TD]

[TD]Stock#[/TD]

[TD]US

Price[/TD]

[TD]Dealer Info[/TD]

[TD]Dist

mile[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1989

Master Cylinder

Buick Regal[/TD]

[TD]STOCK NO. H1138027[/TD]

[TD=align: center] [/TD]

[TD]H1138027[/TD]

[TD=align: center]$25[/TD]

[TD]Henderson Auto Salvage USA-TX(Kaufman) E-mail 972-932-6803[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1452[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1991

Master Cylinder

Buick Regal[/TD]

[TD]ABS[/TD]

[TD]K90947[/TD]

[TD=align: center]$Call[/TD]

[TD]Danny's Used Auto USA-MI(Detroit) Request_Quote 313-273-9030 / 313-273-DANY Request_Insurance_Quote

LiveChat_space.gif[/TD]

[TD=align: center]545[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1991

Master Cylinder

Oldsmobile Cutlass/Supreme[/TD]

[TD]RED[/TD]

[TD]BSF205[/TD]

[TD]E.O.Berry Salvage, Inc. - No Shipping USA-MS(Magee) Request_Quote 601-849-4000 / 800-849-4258 Request_Insurance_Quote

LiveChat_space.gif[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1180[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1990

Master Cylinder

Pontiac Grand Prix[/TD]

[TD]RED[/TD]

[TD]J6BS18[/TD]

[TD]E.O.Berry Salvage, Inc. - No Shipping USA-MS(Magee) Request_Quote 601-849-4000 / 800-849-4258 Request_Insurance_Quote

LiveChat_space.gif[/TD]

[TD=align: center]1180[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]1991

Master Cylinder

Buick Regal[/TD]

[TD]3.8[/TD]

[TD=align: center]A[/TD]

[TD]A71383[/TD]

[TD]Millcreek Metals USA-ID(Blackfoot) Request_Quote 208-684-3795 Request_Insurance_Quote

LiveChat_space.gif[/TD]

[TD=align: center]2010

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Here are all the PMIII master cylinders that pop up on the database nationwide.

I wouldn't go with a stock PMIII setup. Too high maintenance, too high of cost, too much trouble. Beginning to be made of unobtainium and ridiculously expensive.

I'd go with a standard W-body brake system. Parts should be a dime a dozen.

I don't know of any full write-ups, but it's completely bolt-on. The worst is you need to pull the dash to swap the plate on the firewall because the vacuum booster mounts differently than the PMIII. You might be able to modify the existing plate, but I don't know if that's any easier or not. You would need the metal brake lines from an 88-93. 94+ booster is bigger and better, if you plan to stick with the automatic. If you plan to switch to a manual transmission, you'll want the 88-93 style booster because its smaller with more clearance.

They are expensive but not that common. I would pay it, no problem. just to keep it original because it seems easier that way. I like having a TGP to drive around with the auto trans and ABS, it's an awesome experience. my 88 is cool to have but the red TGP is better.

other makes have very expensive brake parts and you'll be spending a lot more than that. I wanna say the BMW parts most likely be more

The price isn't really my worry to be honest, it's just the availability...or lack there of.

I see that RockAuto offers an exchange on one for the low price of $1200. Not really wanting to spend THAT kind of money, however it comes with a 3 year 36k warranty, and I do plan on keeping the car. I was just told that the original PM3 was placed in the trunk of the car. Next time i'm down there i'll grab it and bring it home to see if maybe there's something that can be fixed on it. I'm clueless about them though.

Kyle

The price isn't really my worry to be honest, it's just the availability...or lack there of.

I see that RockAuto offers an exchange on one for the low price of $1200. Not really wanting to spend THAT kind of money, however it comes with a 3 year 36k warranty, and I do plan on keeping the car. I was just told that the original PM3 was placed in the trunk of the car. Next time i'm down there i'll grab it and bring it home to see if maybe there's something that can be fixed on it. I'm clueless about them though.

Kyle

Put it back on, and pull codes from it. Most of the time, you can replace the accumulator and be good to go, after a 30 step bleeding process, that is. LOL