Carb 3.1

Clayton75c

Can't fathom how you'd actually fit that under the hood unless you chopped a hole in the hood. But yeah, you would need to modify the intake considerably, and even then, why on Earth would you want to go with a carb? Most people are glad to be away from that old junk, not want to go back to it!

I have seen it done. There was a guy who built his own intake setup to carb for derby. He blocked off the throttle body with a plate, and cut a hole in the top of the upper intake, and welded a flange over the hole. It stuck up a bit, but he was just cutting a hole in the hood to accommodate it. I'll see if I can find it so you can see the pics. I don't recall what forum he was on, but I think it was this one, and I think he was running a lumina.

Yeah I know everyone wants away from the carb but if you carb it then I would make as much power and torque a 350 v8. Right now I have 6 2.5 iron dukes that I use for the derbies so don't need it any time soon but and trying to figure it out for future reference:biggrin: And thanks for the link I've looked at that guy's cars before

Has there been some miracle of carb technology occurring while everybody's been using EFI?

Usually the switch to EFI from carb alone would result in greatly improved power AND fuel economy.

Has there been some miracle of carb technology occurring while everybody's been using EFI?

Usually the switch to EFI from carb alone would result in greatly improved power AND fuel economy.

I don't think so... actually it's quite the opposite, EFI has had a lot more advancement as companies start switching to Direct fuel injection. Nowadays, holley, MSD, and some others have EFI conversion kits that make conversion on a 350sbc or swapping an LSx into a car a lot more painless than what it used to be.

you can make a carb'd 3.1 really easily, you just need to acquire a bunch of parts from a gen1 60V6(iron head), most if not everything will bolt together, but you'll need to start with the iron heads, which is already going to kill power.

Only point I can see in carbing one of these is with an old-school carb there's less to go wrong in a demo derby environment. Would suck to take a hit that kills something electrical with either the injectors or ICM that knocks you out of the competition. Definitely isn't going to make 350 power by a long shot though, but should run good enough for a derby. Besides, I've seen iron duke powered cars spin their wheels in the mud pit that many of the derbies are held in.

Edited by LumiLTZ

I'm not putting a puss carb on this thing is putting the gas too it it deffently will make some big power I've ran with guys that have dinoed these motors and they have just as much torque as a 350 it's been provin in the derby world and my tires don't really spin when I'm running v tread tractor tires

and i'm fucking out of this thread.

HURRDURR, IMMA PUT A BIG CARB ON IT, DAT MAKES IT MAKE MOAR POWER, NOT ACTUALLY BEING ABLE TO FLOW THE AIR OR COMPRESS THE AIR/FUEL MIXTURE ENOUGH TO GET ENOUGH ENERGY OUT OF THE FUEL TO PRODUCE THAT MUCH TORQUE.

What kinda aick 350s you got around there? Cause ive had a carbed 60*, in an 84 camaro. Ran nice but got its ass handed by any random 305 beater camaro. Ur not gonna make power with a big ass carb, youll kill power in fact lol

I am just trying it but just with a 2 barrel it does make almost as much torque as a 350 that has been provin I'm not trying to piss anyone off with this thread I just like opinions is all

So your saying that a 3.1 that makes 140 hp and 185 lb-ft, is going to gain sooo much power from a 2 barrel carb, thats its going to be more than a 350 (TBI) 210hp and 300 lb-ft?! I would like to see your proof...

Just because you put a bigger carb on does not mean that you are gonna make more power...Your only gonna be sucking in more fuel than air into the engine and the engine won't be running as efficient as it should.

This is one motor that a guy build has nothing done to it and makes close not right or more to a 350. It is completely stock other than a carb and the coils are hot wired

post-10868-143689165442_thumb.jpg