steering wheel controls

chronic139

i remember once someone mentioned a device that would allow steering wheel controls to be used on an aftermarket deck, providing the deck came with a remote. does anyone know the name of this device or have a link for it?

I think they are made by PAC.

If I remember right, they connect to the green data wire on the steering wheel controls to the unit. Then you point the LED emmiter at your radio. Lastly, you program it with your old remote. They are cool, I'm going to get one soon.

Jason

its ok I found it. Its called a swi-x. ClubGP has it for sale, as well as many other places. They seem a little more difficult to wire than I previously anticipated. oh well, something to think about.

I put one in last spring. Got it from Crutchfield. (Crothfelt has got excellent tech advice) Not too bad of a install with basic wiring know-how.Programming it gets interesting though.You have to program every button on the wheel to respond to the same command on your new unit. I reset mine about 4 times before I was satisfied. pretty quick to program after you do it a few times.

Programming and wiring are not the hard part. Finding a place to put that IR transmitter. Now that's the hard part. I still haven't been able to find a place to put it in my Cutty within the head unit's line of sight.

I put my infrared tucked between the glove box door and the adjacent dash assembly. Odd thing is it works fine unless the interior of the car is hot. Like if its been sitting in the sun. I found that kind of odd. Anyone care to explain that one? I thought about mounting it on the side of the drivers side seatbelt latch. The part that sticks out of the seat. Just kind of point it at the unit....