suspension makeover; time for new struts

amistydj

I don't know if it's a good idea to mix and match struts as each brand has different valving and dampening. It would be like running organic brake pads up front and semi metallic in the rear, different friction characteristics.

Funny you mention that, I have ceramics on the front, and semi-metallic on the rear. Nothing will ever be perfect.

But the issue I'm having is simply, can I install the KYB front's with the tools (Powerbuilt I believe) that I can rent at the local parts store? Or not. Everything I have read says, "not", because of an incompatibility with the threads. But if someone smart can tell me otherwise, by all means, please.

I would run KYB all around. I'm pretty sure I used my original nuts on the KYB struts as they screw into the same place. There is a HUGE difference between S rated tires and Z rated tires as far as stiffness, and different from brand to brand. The best Monroe's I've had were the " premium" ones. Before sensacrap. Yeah, I'm not a Monroe fan. Until Koni makes them again for the W or Bilstein, I will run KYB.

Funny you mention that, I have ceramics on the front, and semi-metallic on the rear. Nothing will ever be perfect.

But the issue I'm having is simply, can I install the KYB front's with the tools (Powerbuilt I believe) that I can rent at the local parts store? Or not. Everything I have read says, "not", because of an incompatibility with the threads. But if someone smart can tell me otherwise, by all means, please.

I would run KYB all around. I'm pretty sure I used my original nuts on the KYB struts as they screw into the same place. There is a HUGE difference between S rated tires and Z rated tires as far as stiffness, and different from brand to brand. The best Monroe's I've had were the " premium" ones. Before sensacrap. Yeah, I'm not a Monroe fan. Until Koni makes them again for the W or Bilstein, I will run KYB.

im not smart but im pretty sure you cant use them if it says its incompatible.

have you bought the KYB fronts yet?

Im getting mine in a week and I have a guy who will mount them for me without breaking my bank, thats my route

I was thinking about renting the tool too but I dont wanna rent it then it doesnt work, loss of money lol

I put KYBs on my old '90 regal with the official tool I borrowed from a co-worker at the time who had his own repair shop at one time. I don't remember the brand of tool or never knew. It used (4) 1/4 in. rods in a circle to engage the nut. When I put the KYBs on my Cutlass I made my own tool (socket) using a spare nut with (4) rods 1/2 in. long welded in the holes welded to a pipe with a nut welded on the top for a ratchet and a socket to engage. Haven't found it since we moved 3 yrs ago. As far as the threads go, they better be the same as the new nuts have to thread into the same tube the old nuts came out of or knock the seal out of the old nut and reuse it. I will post a photo of a stock nut tomorrow.

Edited by George

I put KYBs on my old '90 regal with the official tool I borrowed from a co-worker at the time who had his own repair shop at one time. I don't remember the brand of tool or never knew. It used (4) 1/4 in. rods in a circle to engage the nut. When I put the KYBs on my Cutlass I made my own tool (socket) using a spare nut with (4) rods 1/2 in. long welded in the holes welded to a pipe with a nut welded on the top for a ratchet and a socket to engage. Haven't found it since we moved 3 yrs ago. As far as the threads go, they better be the same as the new nuts have to thread into the same tube the old nuts came out of or knock the seal out of the old nut and reuse it. I will post a photo of a stock nut tomorrow.

yea If you can provide a pic that'll be great.

also if ou dont mind can you provide more info on where you got those fogs, thet look really nice I want a pair

thanks

Stock nut with inner seal removed. (4) 1/4 in. rods on a 1 3/4 dia circle.peby4uru.jpgnabe2ehe.jpg

This is the part the strut goes into and the the nut on top. Yes, they are modded for coil oversvyse7ava.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im gonna need a bit of help deciding which tires to go for, summer or all season?

Are you going to switch back and forth between the stock wheels and the new ones? That's really all that will dictate what kind of tire you get.

Are you going to switch back and forth between the stock wheels and the new ones? That's really all that will dictate what kind of tire you get.

no the stock ones are 16s plus the tires on them are basically done, my new wheels are 17s so once I install them they're permanent.

no the stock ones are 16s plus the tires on them are basically done, my new wheels are 17s so once I install them they're permanent.

All season it is then.