suspension makeover; time for new struts

amistydj

I can really feel the struts on my 95 cutlass verte is long overdue for new ones, I feel like launching in the air everytime I go over a bump

Ive been searching for some struts but im only seeing generic ones

Anybody have any ideas on some decent struts for a cutlass?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I've used the GR-2's in the past on both my 1988 Cutlass Supreme, and my 1996 Grand Prix SE sedan. Very good and I loved the ride quality. I will be getting them again for my current Cutlass Supreme whenever my finances settle down some.

I'd look at all the bushings and the two front bearings as well. KYB makes all that and I can get you some part numbers later tonight.

I'd look at all the bushings and the two front bearings as well. KYB makes all that and I can get you some part numbers later tonight.

that'll be awesome :)

I think KYB calls them Excel G now. The general consensus is the KYB's offer a firmer "sport" ride. I really like mine. At one time Summit racing had the fronts for $35 ea. that's been a while.

I think KYB calls them Excel G now. The general consensus is the KYB's offer a firmer "sport" ride. I really like mine. At one time Summit racing had the fronts for $35 ea. that's been a while.

ive been hanging around summit racing's website for a while now, they do have the Excel G for $52 ea and the KYB strut-plus for $96 ea which comes with the whole set.

how long have you had yours on for?

I got some Gabriel (or Monroe, not sure) quick struts for the back. I need to do the front but I don't think they sell a quick strut for that.

Regardless, both Gabriel and Monroe are good brands. Lesser known than KYB but work fine. You can get them at Advance Auto parts for a low price with coupons.

Im gonna go with either ones, for the front is gonna be hard finding a decent pair. Getting some ball joints today and my wheels should be delivered today too. Will post pictures later today, project is moving along nice and steady

The parts store sells either Monroe or KYB but there's no quick connect like the rear. You're gonna have to rent the tool or find someone that won't charge hour's worth of labor to unmount the old ones and mount the new ones.

ive been hanging around summit racing's website for a while now, they do have the Excel G for $52 ea and the KYB strut-plus for $96 ea which comes with the whole set.

how long have you had yours on for?

I've had the KYB's for about 60K. Lifetime warranty through Advance Autoparts and I have a lifetime alignment from tires plus. For optimum performance should change at 50K which I need to do.

The parts store sells either Monroe or KYB but there's no quick connect like the rear. You're gonna have to rent the tool or find someone that won't charge hour's worth of labor to unmount the old ones and mount the new ones.

yea I wonder why they dont sell them like they do with the rear, im gonna go with the KYBs

So Im taking my cutlass in on tuesday for a quote on a custom exhaust, I checked the stock ones last night and boy they are rusted to the bone lol

Just threw a set of KYB GR-2 SR4026 (the quick struts) on mine for the rears. I think $75 a piece shipped on Amazon (bought them late last year). Pretty happy with them. If you're coming from the stock struts, you'll want the lower strut bolt to be completely at the outer edge of the oblong'ed bolt hole unless there's a need to adjust for positive camber. This can be adjusted by supporting the rear of the car on jackstands, installing a brake rotor with a couple lugnuts, and then jacking on the brake rotor with the floor jack until the bolt comes into position -- don't even need to separately compress the spring to adjust such!

As for fronts, its my understanding that the KYB cartridge inserts use a different thread than most of the special "W-body" tools have. And hence, one will have difficulty installing them unless you have a very specific tool. I think I'm going to end up just ordering Monroe's for my fronts, unless anyone has any other suggestions/ideas.

yea I wonder why they dont sell them like they do with the rear, im gonna go with the KYBs

There's no quick struts for the front, because all you replace, literally, is the cartridge. Which is done with all 4 wheels on the ground (very important) with a special tool. No spring compression tool required.

Just threw a set of KYB GR-2 SR4026 (the quick struts) on mine for the rears. I think $75 a piece shipped on Amazon (bought them late last year). Pretty happy with them. If you're coming from the stock struts, you'll want the lower strut bolt to be completely at the outer edge of the oblong'ed bolt hole unless there's a need to adjust for positive camber. This can be adjusted by supporting the rear of the car on jackstands, installing a brake rotor with a couple lugnuts, and then jacking on the brake rotor with the floor jack until the bolt comes into position -- don't even need to separately compress the spring to adjust such!

As for fronts, its my understanding that the KYB cartridge inserts use a different thread than most of the special "W-body" tools have. And hence, one will have difficulty installing them unless you have a very specific tool. I think I'm going to end up just ordering Monroe's for my fronts, unless anyone has any other suggestions/ideas.

good tip

Im gonna go with the KYBs for the rear and the monroe's for the front too.

my rear feels a bit steady but the front really bounces when I test them, I really need the front ones but I might as well change the rears too while im at it

I don't know if it's a good idea to mix and match struts as each brand has different valving and dampening. It would be like running organic brake pads up front and semi metallic in the rear, different friction characteristics. I would run KYB all around. I'm pretty sure I used my original nuts on the KYB struts as they screw into the same place. There is a HUGE difference between S rated tires and Z rated tires as far as stiffness, and different from brand to brand. The best Monroe's I've had were the " premium" ones. Before sensacrap. Yeah, I'm not a Monroe fan. Until Koni makes them again for the W or Bilstein, I will run KYB.

Lol true that but what options do I have,

I really like Ksport shocks but not available on w-bodies. Im also thinking of dropping them 2inches when I get my tires

KYBs are more proven than Monroe's for sure, Im going KYBs

Those wheels will look killer on your black vert, not so much on my bright aqua metallic vert. I'll stick with dark silver (Duplicolor stainless steel).8y6y3yve.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those wheels will look killer on your black vert, not so much on my bright aqua metallic vert. I'll stick with dark silver (Duplicolor stainless steel).8y6y3yve.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the metalic look a lot, it brightens things up

those fogs look sick, would love to get one of those.

did a little painting today inside the hood, will post when they dry up