Possible TGP Part Out.

Heartbeat1991

I am going this weekend to look at and possibly pick up a TGP. I have only been able to get a couple pictures of it. I will decide when I see it if it's worth saving or just for parts. I am torn on it. It has less than 100k on it, although I don't have any clue how much less. The seats in the front look pretty good from this pic. It would be a shame to part out a good car. But it has problems, too. It's been sitting 10+ years. I can guarantee at the least the accumulator is bad. Possibly worse, the entire PMIII. The wheels aren't right. At least what I see. I don't know if he has the crosslaces or not. I doubt it. The car has no title. I can get around that if I need to, although it's a pain and somewhat costly. But not too bad. The seller states that there was a turbo upgrade done on it, but not completed. He says it runs, but not great. I assume due to the lack of boost. But I have no clue yet. He is asking a lot of money for it, as far as I'm concerned. He says it's a rare car, therefore worth more. My opinion, without a title, and having been turbo swapped and missing wheels, it's not the rare car it once was. It would need time, and money to get driveable, and to make it original, if I could even do that at this point. Thoughts?

post-9474-143689150211_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689150222_thumb.jpg

post-9474-143689150231_thumb.jpg

Supposedly, the current owner acquired it a long time ago as an abandoned car from a tow. It is unclear if he towed it or not.

It looks in salvageable shape, but you wont know until you get it. If it runs and moves under it's own power, and doesn't otherwise have any major body issues and whatnot, even without the title I could see $1000 for it :shrug:

He wants $1800 for it. That's way too high. The title alone would be time consuming and pricey. The wheels aren't exactly cheap either. Or tires. I will have to decide once I get it home. If I get it home. LOL. I won't pay $1800 for it. And he's standing firm on the price.

I was thinking $800 tops. I can assess how I want to proceed from there as far as which one I keep, and sell or part the other.

The title issue would end the matter for me...way too easy to find out later that the reason it's sat for so long was to hopefully mean no one is still looking for the car---which could change rather suddenly if an application for title comes up the car is stolen.

I'd be inclined to tell him I wasn't interested until he gets a valid title in hand.

I can run the VIN to make sure it's not stolen. That's not an issue. He's already given me the VIN. I have a pic of it. I have friends in law enforcement who will run it for me.

that driver's seat... looks so nice

I see wrinkles in the bolster so it does have wear on it, but it doesn't look bad yet.

Like the others, I agree the price has to come way down to make it worthwhile. I'd rather see someone restore it rather than part it out.

I've done the title thing before. Its a total pain in the ass. Very few cars I'd do that for at this point.

Is the car worth restoring to you? I doubt you'll have people tripping over themselves to restore a 24 year old Grand Prix Turbo or not. As much as we like to think so, they are not very desirable.

Maybe. Mine needs a bunch or parts/work. This other one has far less miles. I could take the parts I need and sell the rest. We'll see. I'm inclined to possibly keep the one without a title and get the title for it, depending on the condition. We shall see.