Alignment issues

Nas Escobar

So for the longest, I've been trying to get my Cutlass Supreme Convertible aligned but it seems nobody knows how to do it. I've taken the car to a dozen shops and all of them tell me they need to drill the car or they don't have the "special tool" that goes in the rear suspension.

My last experience trying to align this car brought my attention to something odd. Apparently, the rear end of my car can't be aligned, not only because of the "special tool" that they don't have but also because there is a bolt that spins around.

post-8125-143689142663_thumb.jpg

The bolt in question is the bolt pictured above. My question is... what is the name of that bolt, and how can it be swapped out for one that will hold the alignment specs?

Cut the bolt and replace it. It just attaches the lat link to the crossmember. If you swap to hen 2 lat links they have adjustment in the links themselves on top of the other benefits :)

So for the longest, I've been trying to get my Cutlass Supreme Convertible aligned but it seems nobody knows how to do it. I've taken the car to a dozen shops and all of them tell me they need to drill the car or they don't have the "special tool" that goes in the rear suspension.

My last experience trying to align this car brought my attention to something odd. Apparently, the rear end of my car can't be aligned, not only because of the "special tool" that they don't have but also because there is a bolt that spins around.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14206[/ATTACH]

The bolt in question is the bolt pictured above. My question is... what is the name of that bolt, and how can it be swapped out for one that will hold the alignment specs?

you don't *need* the alignment tool, granted it makes it a ton easier to do. But the rear lateral link bolt holes in the rear subframe are slotted for adjustment, just loosen them and move the wheel around to where it comes into alignement.

to use the tool proper there are a couple holes, one on the rear subframe and one on the rear lateral link, loosen the bolt and use the turnbuckle on the tool to get the desired rear toe tighten the bolt and done.

looks like a lateral link bolt to me, I think I can see the other one just to the right of it.

Yeah, there is another bolt next to it. The idiots at Mr. Tire called them "camber bolts", and the service department at Chevy said they didn't even know what that was.

Cut the bolt and replace it. It just attaches the lat link to the crossmember. If you swap to hen 2 lat links they have adjustment in the links themselves on top of the other benefits :smile:

How hard would it be to swap over to Gen 2 lat links? I'm considering swapping out both bolts so the idiots that keep telling me "my car can't be aligned" don't find more ways to deny me service.

you don't *need* the alignment tool, granted it makes it a ton easier to do. But the rear lateral link bolt holes in the rear subframe are slotted for adjustment, just loosen them and move the wheel around to where it comes into alignement.

to use the tool proper there are a couple holes, one on the rear subframe and one on the rear lateral link, loosen the bolt and use the turnbuckle on the tool to get the desired rear toe tighten the bolt and done.

I've seen the holes. See the issue here is that most shops refuse to align my rear end because they don't have the tool. The only shop that got most of it right was Firestone. The only thing I didn't like is that they told me that one side of my rear end wasn't align-able. I don't remember which side it was, but if it was the driver's then this was an issue since I bought the car.

Anyways, are the lateral link bolts known to go bad at all? Because it seems a bit off that the bolt just spun with the nut on it when the last shop tried to do a rear end alignment.

Edited by Nas Escobar

Its a bolt on swap :) itll also tighten up the rear :)

Yeah, there is another bolt next to it. The idiots at Mr. Tire called them "camber bolts", and the service department at Chevy said they didn't even know what that was.

How hard would it be to swap over to Gen 2 lat links? I'm considering swapping out both bolts so the idiots that keep telling me "my car can't be aligned" don't find more ways to deny me service.

I've seen the holes. See the issue here is that most shops refuse to align my rear end because they don't have the tool. The only shop that got most of it right was Firestone. The only thing I didn't like is that they told me that one side of my rear end wasn't align-able. I don't remember which side it was, but if it was the driver's then this was an issue since I bought the car.

Anyways, are the lateral link bolts known to go bad at all? Because it seems a bit off that the bolt just spun with the nut on it when the last shop tried to do a rear end alignment.

Not bad. Has anyone made a how to on that, or is it a "figure it out" type thing?

I've never really messed around with suspensions. The closest I've done to that is a rear disc conversion on a N body.

Prolly on youtube. You just unbolt the old ones and bolt in the new ones :)

Not bad. Has anyone made a how to on that, or is it a "figure it out" type thing?

I've never really messed around with suspensions. The closest I've done to that is a rear disc conversion on a N body.

Ohhh ok. I thought it was more complicated than that.

Out of curiosity, is that lateral bolt supposed to spin when it is loose, or is it supposed to be stationary once it is loose?

Possibly with a wrench but not with your fingers

Ohhh ok. I thought it was more complicated than that.

Out of curiosity, is that lateral bolt supposed to spin when it is loose, or is it supposed to be stationary once it is loose?

I put some on my car a few years back. Just remove the existing bolts, put in the new bolts with the offset adjusting washers back in, tighten the nuts and get it aligned. I believe Carquest calls them a rear toe bolt kit. I'll see if I can come up with a part number. Maybe post a photo.

The holes for the rear set of lateral links in the subframe are slotted. the bolts are just normal bolts with nuts to secure them. Adjustment is made by loosening the nut/bolt, moving the link and retightening.

I have no idea why shops tell me they can't fix it too... so I just do it myself and show up and tell them to re-check it, fine tuning it till it passes.

Edited by Crazy K

i just aligned my car in class and it was super easy, can't imagine your car would be much different but the tool does make it 1000 times easier... no more no less

The main issue here is that the DC metro area... or more specifically NORTHERN VIRGINIA employs very ignorant people with no merit to work at places like Mr. Tire, or my local Chevy dealership. Thus, if it's not a honda or a toyota, they don't know how to do it. My area loves its imports. Don't know why but its a shame. This is also why I bought a Camaro, but another thread for another time. My point is that my area is filled with idiots. I find myself going as far out as LAUREL MARYLAND to get something done on my car. It's that bad. I've gone out to Baltimore for tires once... this is because nobody knew what a 225/60/r16 tire was. You'd be surprised at the stupidity that resides in my metropolitan area.

well you can get a set of camber bolts, if you want to adjust the camber and your struts are not slotted already. But you are after setting toe.

I swapped to them last year on my TGP, just need to remove the leaf to get the subframe down, also find someone to shorten 2 of them. IIRC GOT2B GM offers that service. Here's the thread I had documenting my search for new original ones that turned into swapping them all out for gen2 stuff. http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/52415-where-to-buy-obtain-gen1-lateral-links?p=1144635#post1144635

Catch to this swap is you need to find a alignment shop worth its salt, as with all 4 links adjustable the ability to make the car dogtrack is real.

It will do that... its a nut and bolt. He would have just had to put a wrench on the other side and it would have been fine.

The toe bolt kit. Carquest calls it an Alignment, Toe Adjuster, Rear. Raybestos Part number: 616-1027. It contains one bolt, one nut, one concentric washer. You will need two kits to do both sides. Local price is $18.39 per kit. I called another store to check stock, they would order out of Chicago as well, but called it a cam bolt kit.

I had Advance Autoparts check the Raybestos p/n, it crossed to Moog p/n K6375. It includes two bolts, flange nuts, eccentric washers and flat washers. Enough for both sides in one kit for $ 24.99. Now if you can find a competent shop to align it, you're golden. I forgot. They call it a camshaft bolt kit. I'm sure they mean cam bolt kit.

Edited by George

Those bastards said they forgot to print me the sheet though I requested it, and my rear wheels still don't look right, I bet they don't have that tool and didn't get it quite right. It's only $50, I may buy one to take with me to the alignment shop.

Those bastards said they forgot to print me the sheet though I requested it, and my rear wheels still don't look right, I bet they don't have that tool and didn't get it quite right. It's only $50, I may buy one to take with me to the alignment shop.

I've seen it on ebay for $30. I've thought about the same thing... there's gonna be that one day where people are gonna say wtf an "Oldsmobile" is, much less a know what a "W Body" is and is gonna give us a hard time to get anything done with these cars. Such a shame really.

Thats one of the reasons im swapping to as many 2nd/2rd gen w parts as possible, that way ill still find parts ten yrs from now. I was big into g-body cutlasses at one time(still am actually lol) then the parts started drying up. I mean, g-bodies were literally piled up at the jy, now you you find one or two.

I've seen it on ebay for $30. I've thought about the same thing... there's gonna be that one day where people are gonna say wtf an "Oldsmobile" is, much less a know what a "W Body" is and is gonna give us a hard time to get anything done with these cars. Such a shame really.

Thats one of the reasons im swapping to as many 2nd/2rd gen w parts as possible, that way ill still find parts ten yrs from now. I was big into g-body cutlasses at one time(still am actually lol) then the parts started drying up. I mean, g-bodies were literally piled up at the jy, now you you find one or two.

G bodies are hard nowadays, not only because of parts (I've heard that a lot) but because of that "donk" bullshit that ruined a good half of them. Nowadays on craigslist most G bodies have some sort of damage from that. The same is happening to B bodies. You would find Caprices all the time at the yard... not so much anymore.

I do have to ask, what car do you have? and how many 2G W parts are on it? lol

Gen 2 list

Lat links

Rear spindels/brakes

Seats

Console

Power lock/window switches

rack

Exhaust

More to come...

Car

1997 monte carlo :)

G bodies are hard nowadays, not only because of parts (I've heard that a lot) but because of that "donk" bullshit that ruined a good half of them. Nowadays on craigslist most G bodies have some sort of damage from that. The same is happening to B bodies. You would find Caprices all the time at the yard... not so much anymore.

I do have to ask, what car do you have? and how many 2G W parts are on it? lol