06 GP Stalling and

Addicted To Boost

My 06 GP is having some really strange issues. First off, it would randomly stall on me while I was driving. First two times it did this, I had the cruise set at 70 MPH for a long time, 1900 RPM... Then, like someone flipped a switch, the engine just stalled. Nothing exciting, just dead. Pull over and turn the key off, turn it back on and it starts right back up and drove away like nothing had happened.

The third time it stalled, it would not restart. Will crank all day. Found I had 7 PSI at the fuel rail. Fast forward to a few days ago... Replaced the fuel pump/sender assembly and it fires right up. Fuel gauge reads empty with a full tank of gas. I drive the car 13 miles to the mall and while looking for a parking spot, just up and dies. Cranks, cranks, cranks, will not fire. Call a tow truck... two and a half hours go by and finally arrives. He turns the key and the car fires right up! I hop in and proceed to drive home (60 mile drive) through a monsoon and it runs like a top. Even did a WOT 0-70 run and it was perfect. Also, as I drove home, my fuel gauge steadily went up, so when I arrived home, it read 1/8 tank, a hair above the yellow hash marks. What the hell is going on with this car?? No CEL, no codes. WTF

i would guess MAF for the random stalling issue. And sounds like you got a faulty sending unit. Either that or you plugged in it backwards, which is highly unlikely.

Would this cause a random no-start condition? I swapped in the MAF out of my old 04, so I could run the cone filter on it and it worked fine on the 04 and for several thousand miles while on the 06.

I don't think it's possible to plug in the sending unit backwards- there is a small plug and a large plug, so seems straight forward. :think:

Consulted a friend that has a Tech 2 scanner... Have a stored fault for faulty oil pressure switch circuit. That would explain the car randomly shutting off. It thinks it has no oil pressure and kills the engine... I'll have to get a new sensor and inspect the wiring and connector. See what happens...

Dropped the tank again and pulled the fuel sending unit out... I have 42 ohms at full and 249 ohms at empty. Rockauto sent me a sending unit for an 07-08 GP. In 2007, GM inverted the resistances on the sending units, so the more resistance you have, the more it is towards empty. On 2006 and earlier vehicles, the readings are inverted, so more resistance is towards full and less resistance is toward empty. Now waiting for the proper sending unit to arrive, as the GP sits disassembled in my garage again. Sigh.

You always could have gotten out a magic marker, and inverted the "E" and "F" marks on the gauge...:lol:

Dropped the tank again and pulled the fuel sending unit out... I have 42 ohms at full and 249 ohms at empty. Rockauto sent me a sending unit for an 07-08 GP. In 2007, GM inverted the resistances on the sending units, so the more resistance you have, the more it is towards empty. On 2006 and earlier vehicles, the readings are inverted, so more resistance is towards full and less resistance is toward empty. Now waiting for the proper sending unit to arrive, as the GP sits disassembled in my garage again. Sigh.