Is this speaker blown?

terryk2003

That's an optional feature. You can DJ in your car, scratching as needed to mix your shiz.

I've never seen a speaker do that, blown or not. Maybe it needs some airflow behind it?

Haven't done anything with it yet...I originally thought this was one of my components! Is this some rare thing that nobody has seen before? Where is mr JL who thinks JL are the best!? This is a W3! Lol

shit, I can't feed enough power to my W7 to blow it :lol: the 12 I just put in the white car is pissing the car's ECM off and throwing it into limp mode. it needs a second battery and a power cap or it is going to smoke this car's battery.

this little 500/1 is like 800 rms in reality by the way. moves that W7 cone to full excursion almost.

try to find a thousand dollar sub for $200 like I did! :lol:

Well, if this is any indication of JL Quality I don't want another one! I bought this one because I had always been told they are some of the best out there!

You can do better. Granted I loved my W6's but I got a ridiculous deal on them (2 W6v2's for $160).

Garrett, how is your little 500 causing so much havoc on your electrical system? I had my eD nine.1 in my '91 running all 0 ga wire, pushing the two JL's at 1 ohm ~1300 watts and never had any electrical issues other than the alternator not being able to keep up at idle.

the speaker itself just consumes a lot of power and the amp has no kind of low end filter. meaning it will produce much lower frequencies than traditional subwoofers. basically lower and fuller sounding than any other sub.

Could this be caused by the Amp and not the sub being messed up? When I turn up the bass or sub level on the head unit it doesn't seem to change the sound at all.

Did the Pills Bury Dough Boy get trapped inside of that thing?

LOL. :lol: X2

In all seriousness though, I would first take the woofer out of the box and press on it agian to see if it makes the same noise. If it doesn't, that sound could be some kind of air leak from the box.

If it does, the sound is most likley coming from the voice coil rubbing against the motor magnet. In that case, that speaker's blown and it's time to send it into JL for a recone. I've never dealt with them before, but I assume if you havent had the woofer too long and you bought it from a certified dealer that they might honor some kind of warranty period.

Took it out of the box and it still made that noise, BUT, I hooked the sub up to my home audio reciever and it doesn't make that horrific sound! Amp problem!?

Took it out of the box and it still made that noise, BUT, I hooked the sub up to my home audio reciever and it doesn't make that horrific sound! Amp problem!?

When you took it out of the box and checked to see if it was making the noise, was it still hooked up to the amp?

When you took it out of the box and checked to see if it was making the noise, was it still hooked up to the amp?

Yes it was. But I then hooked it up to the home theater reciever and left it out of the box and it played music and didn't make any noises when pressed.

Hm. If its not the sub, it could either be a problem with the amp or the signal. Do you have another amp that you could try your setup with? If it makes the same noise with a different amp then its not the amp and has something to do with the signal. I really dont know. Never heard of anything like this happening before, so im trying to rule out all possibilities.

I don't have another amp or another sub to try...that's the problem! Now that you say signal I'm wondering if my RCA cables are messed up and causing this!?

Wonder if your amp is letting interference noise through, or maybe even making its own...

Do you have a random speaker you can throw on the amp and see if it squawks like that, too?

• 3 weeks later...