HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN TO THEIR CUTLASS SUPREME?

Guest k6tc

Went to turn on the headlamps tonight and nada! only way I could get them to stay on was on low beam and by holding the hi-low turn signal lever up.

the foglights work normally and the bell telling you the lights are on does too?

can anyone help with this newest GLITCH?***

Tom (k6tc)

To me, sounds like your turn signal lever needs to be adjusted.

***O.K. how do you do that? I know where the rod ends and it seems to be free but I do not see an adjustment of any kind???***

(K6TC)

Not sure how to do it, but from what i hear, its pretty time involved. When i had my beretta(similar problem your having), i took it in to get fixed, i didn't want to mess with it.

Our Cutlass dimmer/turn signal switch sux there bad about going out or getting shorts. Ive got to replace mine its giving me problems when I try to go from dim to bright lights and when I try to turn on the signal light to go right it some times works and some time doesnt. I have a extra switch just havent had time to replace mine but every cutlass ive owned w-body wise has given me problems.

you need to replace the turn signal switch. you need to get one froma junkyard or order one from GM, there is alot of time gone into changing this, you have to take off the steering wheel, take off the turn signal switch, pull the wires up trhough the steering column to get it out, your gonna need a steering wheel puller to get the steering wheel off, when you get the steering wheel off and the old turn signal switch off, snake the wires down through the steering column, there is a 2 pin connector that connects up on the top of the steering wheel column, make note of where thats at on the turn signal switch you are removing before you remove it, the wires going into it are green and yellow, there is a m,etal thing about the size of a nickel with a larger spring behind it (spring or tilt steernig wheel) there is a square opening, put in a flat head screwdriver turn it till the pegs and holes line up and pull it out and the spring out as well and you should have access to the 2 pin connector, once you have the 2 pin connector and the other connects hoked up, install everything back to the way it was when you uninstalled it, any questions? ive done this before so ill be glad to answer any questions you have

Not sure how to do it, but from what i hear, its pretty time involved. When i had my beretta(similar problem your having), i took it in to get fixed, i didn't want to mess with it.

***that sounds like pretty good advise, I believe I'll do the same tomorrow, thanks

(K6TC)

you need to replace the turn signal switch. you need to get one froma junkyard or order one from GM, there is alot of time gone into changing this, you have to take off the steering wheel, take off the turn signal switch, pull the wires up trhough the steering column to get it out, your gonna need a steering wheel puller to get the steering wheel off, when you get the steering wheel off and the old turn signal switch off, snake the wires down through the steering column, there is a 2 pin connector that connects up on the top of the steering wheel column, make note of where thats at on the turn signal switch you are removing before you remove it, the wires going into it are green and yellow, there is a m,etal thing about the size of a nickel with a larger spring behind it (spring or tilt steernig wheel) there is a square opening, put in a flat head screwdriver turn it till the pegs and holes line up and pull it out and the spring out as well and you should have access to the 2 pin connector, once you have the 2 pin connector and the other connects hoked up, install everything back to the way it was when you uninstalled it, any questions? ive done this before so ill be glad to answer any questions you have

***I'm a bit confused now...my turn signals work fine all of the controls on the turn signal arm are o.k. too. there is a rod that goes from the arm under the steering wheel to a wired devise attached to the steering column that seems to be the problem the long rod moves freely up and down inside of this small electrical part and if I use my fingers to slightly push down on it the lights will come on, once I let go they go off and i couldn't see well enough to see what colors the wires were?? when you pull up on the turn sinal arm as to go from bright to dim the light will come on but when released they go off...driving in the dark like that is a son of a gun but thanks to m y fog lights and doing that we got home with no problems... did that explaine it a bit better??? I have a feeling that the switch, whatever it is?, is at fault along with the dimmer switch on the dash board for the dash lights and at full top position the interior lights, that quit working some time back but wasn't a concern because when the door was opened they worked fine...another myster???...lol

K6TC........THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR TRYING TO HELP ME TOGETHER WE'LL FIGURE IT OUT.....TOM***

the entire problem is in the dimmer switch. looking at it bolted to the steering column it looked as though it was going to have to go in to the shop for a replacment. that would of cost a couple of hundred bucks after the part and labor was added up...NO WAY say's I and on closer inspection I discovered that once the trim under the column was off and out of the way the two (2) bolts that hold the column up to the dash board needed to be removed, one (1) of the bolts at the firewall needed to be removed the other one made loose enough for the column that would then would lower to the seat and rotate to the left until both of the retaining nuts securing the dimmer switch were within easy socket removal range. out with the old and worn out dimmer switch and replacment with a brand new one thanks to NAPA autoparts locally's, over night delivery and by tomorrow afternoon all will be working correctly....quote "Piece of cake"!.

K6TC