Finally!! The Grand Prix Is Back On The Road

1990 Lumina Euro Coupe

Well, I wanted to announce that today the 'pree took her first drive on the road, after having a fuel pump failure with complications.

Here is my story.

A few weeks ago, I was driving my 1991 Grand Prix and when I parked it in the driveway, it quit and would not restart. I thought it was out of gasoline, because it restarted with some effort. I took her and filled her up, but when parked again she was dead once more. I ran a few tests and found out that she was not gettting fuel. I troubleshot it to the fuel pump.

This required dropping the fuel tank,(And it's really fun to drop a tank with 16 gallons in it.) It was my first time to to it. It went smoothly UNTIL the car slipped off of the jack when I was done and letting it back down, and the jack saddle goes through the fuel tank.

Okay, I get another tank and redo the whole thing. This time it works, It had been two weeks by now.

Upon driving the car, I realize that it is sputtering, I post here and am told to the the idle relearn.

That works.

Then I have the problem that when you punch it, it hesitates and surges before gaining speed. I learned today, that was caused by not enough fuel in the tank when I learn also that the blow to the tank took out the fuel sender. I ran out of gasoline right up from my home. While it was showing 1/4 tank.(I had put two gallons in the tank to start the car. That obviously was not enough to give it a steady supply when it was really needed.)

So I drive it and learn that one of the wiper arms was jammed, when it begins to pour rain while I am driving and I turn on the wipers. I stopped and unjammed them, getting soaked in the process.

So 1- $60.00 fuel pump, 1-$25.00 tank from the junk yard. $30.00 in misc suppies, 2 quarts of oil $22.00 in fuel, 4 scraped knuckles and three weeks later, the pree finally performed flawlessly.

It just feels good to type it out. I'm taking her to work tommorrow to celebrate. 8)

My W-Bodys'

1989 Oldsmoblie Cutlass Supreme SL (Never any problems)

1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 Coupe - Needs Front Brake Pads - SURPRISE!!!

1991 Grand Prix SE - FINALLY FIXED!

..........did you lose the whole 16 gallons of fuel on the floor? Must have been fun..

The wiper arm jamming is just plain funny :)

I was lucky about the tank, in that it was when I was letting the car back down when I was done and the tank was still empty. The fun part was dropping it at the beginning, dealing the weight and instability of the tank when full, and finding enough containers to store all that gasoline.

Now that I am dry, the wiper part is funny. :lol:

how hard was it to replace the fuel sender? Would the fuel tank have to be dropped to replace the sender?

Thanx

When you remove the tank, there is a lockring on the top that you have to move off of two tangs to release it.

Then you can pull the fuel pump assembly out of the tank. It consists of a long rod that goes to the bottom of the tank. About midway on the rod is the fuel sender. Below that is an area that holds the fuel pump.

I believe the sender is intigrated into the pump assembly. It may require the entire unit to be replaced, but it is only a rod and a pigtail.

I have not replaced mine yet, but the tank will have to be removed to have it done. It really is not all that hard once the tank is down. This is what the fuel pump assembly looks like.

----------------------- PIGTAIL

|

--- LOCKRING

|

|

| | -> Sender

|

|

|---| -> FUEL PUMP

| |

-----

() ->STRAINER

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

My W Bodys'

1989 Cutlass Supreme Coupe

1990 Lumina Euro 3.1 Coupe

1991 Grand Prix SE