Radiators

Reride

I own two '94 LQ1 CS's both are w/ AC & automatics. One has a very skinny radiator and the other has a radiator that is almost three times as thick. Would there be a powertrain option that would require a larger radiator or is this just a cooling option?

I own two '94 LQ1 CS's both are w/ AC & automatics. One has a very skinny radiator and the other has a radiator that is almost three times as thick. Would there be a powertrain option that would require a larger radiator or is this just a cooling option?

Are you the original owner? Do you have the service history on both vehicles?

First Guess: Some time during the last ~18 years, someone may have upgraded the radiator on one vehicle, or (more likely) downgraded the rad on the other.

I wish I had the service history for both cars, but I don't. As with the way things generally go someone probably did put a 3.1 radiator in one of my cars. Thanks guys, Steve.

They might not have even paid attention. I had to replace the radiator in my LQ1 Cutlass shortly after i bought it..got into quite an argument about this very thing when they tried to give me a "skinny" radiator. The reordered, and got me the correct one..they said they never had realized there was a difference..no one had ever said anthing.

Yep. 3.4 DOHCs are supposed to get the thicker radiator. The skinny one is for the 3100. I bought one from eBay once for my 3.4 DOHC and they shipped me a skinny one. I sent it back and got the proper thicker one from a different place as that place said they only had skinny ones for both engines. I guess a lot of parts books must point to them all having the skinny one. It worked out well because I think I found the thicker one for cheaper and the place also overnighted it to me.

I stick the thickest radiator in every car I touch. The three prime cars in my fleet in use have LQ1 radiators, and I have a few more spares when up and coming projects ever get finished, they will have an LQ1 radiator too...

Just wanted to note that if one gets a thicker radiator for a 3100 you need to space it at the top so the hub bolt on the fan wont chew your shit up. 3 washers at the top mount screw for both fans will be enough. Its easy to over look but expensive if you do. Indicators are a weird grinding noise and a big puddle of coolant:D

All good info, and thanks to all of you guys for responding!

Can someone tell me which fan is primary cooling fan and which is the auxzillory fan. Drivers side or passenger side? And would that be the same for 3.1's & 3.4's?

• 1 year later...

driver's side fan is the primary.

passenger's side fan is the secondary.

Installing a thick LQ1 type radiator in a car that came with a thin radiator is almost completely plug in play, except the following:

on the 94+ cars, The passenger side fan must either be shimmed for clearance, or replaced with an LQ1 fan. The blade contacts the core.

Some earlier vehicles, (93-) might have the trans lines on the opposite side, supposedly a W car that came with a 3 speed 3t40 will have the trans lines on the driver's side, and all others on the passenger side... excluding manual trans vehicles. Grab some lines from the J/Y should this be an issue for you.

I've heard it can be done, but have not yet test fit a wrong year radiator into a car... specifically meaning a 94+ LQ1 radiator may fit into a 93- car. Supposedly it only requires the mounting hardware?

• 4 weeks later...
driver's side fan is the primary.

passenger's side fan is the secondary.

really?

on my 97 3100 lumina,the pass side fan mooves WAY more air....strange

both blades look the same, but the motors are different.

i'd like to swap out the slower fan for the faster pass side fan... did any W's come with better cfm fans?

really?

i'd like to swap out the slower fan for the faster pass side fan... did any W's come with better cfm fans?

Gen 2s

Gen 2s

what like an 2000 impala?

ok, so do i need just the fan motor or the whole sheebang?

is it a direct swap?

thanks, it gets WAY too hot here in my part of socal. my a/c isint very good when stoppee, but whos is at 100+ out

what like an 2000 impala?

ok, so do i need just the fan motor or the whole sheebang?

is it a direct swap?

thanks, it gets WAY too hot here in my part of socal. my a/c isint very good when stoppee, but whos is at 100+ out

2000 imp will work. You need the whole assembly, its two fans in one housing. Housing actually covers radiator so it works like a good shroud. Theres a clip on the bottom of ur radiator you need to remove but other than that its bolt on. You MAY need fan plugs, havent tried them out yet

2000 imp will work. You need the whole assembly, its two fans in one housing. Housing actually covers radiator so it works like a good shroud. Theres a clip on the bottom of ur radiator you need to remove but other than that its bolt on. You MAY need fan plugs, havent tried them out yet

well then i gotta find me an impala!

were there any 95-01 luminas or mc's with better fans?

it would be much eAsyier to find at the wrecking yard, they dont get many impalas

thanks

well then i gotta find me an impala!

were there any 95-01 luminas or mc's with better fans?

it would be much eAsyier to find at the wrecking yard, they dont get many impalas

thanks

nope, pretty much all 1st gens had the same fans. 99+ grand prix, regal, century, impala, and 2000+ montes will have the upgrade fans :)

nope, pretty much all 1st gens had the same fans. 99+ grand prix, regal, century, impala, and 2000+ montes will have the upgrade fans :)

ok. thanks l67ss!

yeah these 1.5 fans are kinda crappy!

my 98 lumina was the same, but its a/c was BADDDDDDDD real thrashed compressor. my 97 is min4:dance:

Since you say the passenger fan moves way more air, and the driver's fan is the primary, it could simply be since the driver fan is used most of the time, it's gotten "tired". Over the years, I've replaced far more fan motors that were working, but not moving enough air, than I have replaced that didn't work at all.

really?

Since you say the passenger fan moves way more air, and the driver's fan is the primary, it could simply be since the driver fan is used most of the time, it's gotten "tired". Over the years, I've replaced far more fan motors that were working, but not moving enough air, than I have replaced that didn't work at all.

Yes the pass side moves more air. i did the "feel test" when the car was just started from cold. warm outside with the a/c on max. and yes the drivers side was less.

now when i checked on a hot day they were closer but not the same. aka pass side more flow than left.

i have a pdf file from gm, (1998 lumina l82) see attached pic.post-2500-143689159261_thumb.jpg

0819da324493851.jpg

it does indeed show lh or drivers fan to pull more air... , well time for a new lh fan!

thanks everyone:thumbsup: