• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Myotis1134

• rich_e777

• Euro

• skitchin

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hate that Razzi kit too, I have a 1998 Regal (Which is the same as the Lumina..not that that helps it at all) I was wondering if you could help me, well anyone actually that reads this, can you help me design a body kit for my car? Thanks!

Aaron :)

Might contact a few aftermarket companies that make them and see what the can suggest. You have somewhat of a luxury/passenger car, not a big market for bolt-on accessories, its not a Honda:lol: and the saying "if its not fast it better be cool" doesnt fly anymore. Body kits lead to stick on chrome, stick on chrome leads to park bench spoilers and park bench spoilers lead to the darkside, i think:shrug:

Anything custom made will get expensive quick. Make sure you plan on having the vehicle long enough to justify putting that kind of money into it. 1st Car theres always a soft spot for to make people think irrationally like this. Thats what mid-life crisis are for:dance:

I wanted to RWD covert mine for awhile, but now i think i`ll be happy with her with a bit more power and some tinted windows, and maybe I`ll get around to put a CD player in there.

can you help me design a body kit for my car?

Gonna tell you this now dude, don't depend on anyone else to give as much of a shit about your car as you do. The near absolute lack of any options for our cars tells me that anything new is going to have to come from us.

To find or design the best body kit for your car, try the route I'm taking. Download GIMP, it's a free photo-editing program, install it, download some pics of your car that show it in various poses/angles, and doctor them in GIMP. Lighten the colors of the pic, then trace over the contour lines - door, window, bumper, etc. with black lines. Once your car is outlined with black, flood all the colors with white. Do this right and you will have a black and white coloring-book pic of your car. Save a copy of this for posterity, and erase the wheels and bumpers in GIMP. Save a copy of this too, as it will be your blank canvas.

Our cars can only, really be modified by changing the shape of the bumpers, adding hood scoops, or rocker panel additions. This is why you want a picture of your car without these features - so you can try out different outfits on your car, to figure out which one looks best in your opinion. Find cars you think look good, and determine which characteristics of these cars actually cause them to look good in your eyes. Print out some of the pics of your car minus the bumpers, and draw some of these characteristics onto your car. Be creative with this process, as it's possible that the strangest things will actually look good when applied to your car.

Do this until you find a few designs that look good on paper, from every angle, then you call me and I'll tell you how to proceed from there. I've been thinking about how to do a project like this for years, and have a few ideas that should work.

However, as mentioned, it will cost a bit.

Edited by Myotis1134

Hey peeps, in Anchorage, slightly drunk, feeling the love, so I'll lay a bit more on you.

The carbon fiber- aluminum honeycomb sandwich, with some kevlar, is going to be only for the doors. Yes I said doors.

The doors on the lumina are too heavy, which they need to be due to them being so long. There are structural supports in there, in the form of tubular bars. Problem as I see it is, the damn things are made out of inefficient materials. At least 60 lbs. I figure with chromaly tubing as the structural supports, and carbon fiber as the outside and inside surfaces, they'll be a lot lighter. The aluminum honeycomb layer, is to provide yet more structural integrity, and to absorb energy, should some asshole hit you with their car. The energy absorption of the aluminum honeycomb panels is unparalleled by any other material (I think), and is crammed into the door panels strictly for that purpose.

This project is practice for my other lumina, the z34 i rescued from the scrap yard, which sits in my driveway. With this current project, I'm only going semi-hardcore on my lumina euro. I'm not modifying any parts of the chassis, and am only going to replace the bumpers and fenders (and a few other parts) with the carbon fiber panels.

As I said, the aluminum honeycomb is going strictly into the doors, for the instance that i get into a car accident. At least for now. We'll see how that turns out, and who knows, maybe I'll throw it into all the body panels that are made of CF.

I'm kinda rambling, so I'll speed it up. The Z34 project will be based off of the euro project, which will establish the majority of the molds and methods used to produce the body parts. The Z34 project, however, will be going above and beyond in terms of how much original material is going to be replaced by CF. I don't want to get ahead of myself, so I'll leave it at that until I actually show some results on the euro project.

Not satisfied with how the wheels look, especially the front. Meant to show it lowered, but doesn't look right. I'll tweak it a bit, but here's what I've got so far.

post-3664-143689122096_thumb.jpg

Love your drawing skills. But still can't get over the RWD drifter look on a car that's FWD

Considering GP's took several design cues from RWD muscle cars(3rd gen Camaro, headlights, fender flares, side turn signals - subtle but similarities are there) and aren't anything close to that, it doesn't really matter much IMO.

Little things like that to where you can't tell one way or another, do not matter...you're right. But when you're widening the rear fenders(normally to fit wide wheels...for a RWD car) on a FWD car, doesn't make any sense.

Little things like that to where you can't tell one way or another, do not matter...you're right. But when you're widening the rear fenders(normally to fit wide wheels...for a RWD car) on a FWD car, doesn't make any sense.

Neither does a stanced out widebody Civic, but not all things in the car world have to make sense, especially most things aesthetic

Lol dude, I've already admitted that nothing about any of this project makes sense, and if I had any brains I'd have quit already. Fortunately that's not the case, so... Euro... any requests for the next one?

rear lip spoiler(2nd gen slp style)

Can you give me a specific model and year range to go off of? I'm finding lots of SLP spoiler pics, but what second gen make and model had SLP spoilers?

Are you talking 2nd gen Firebird? 1970-81?

I've seen enough pics of various SLP style spoilers that I can eyeball one, but I like to be accurate.

Edited by Myotis1134

I'm gona say my .02 and get out... I think you might be going a bit far with a "body kit" there is a difference between bumpers, side skirts, whatever that you can bolt on and off, but you seem to be changing a good bit of a cars sheetmetal to do what you wanna accomplish. Past the window shapes you have the body in no, way, shape or form resembles a 1g lumina.

Past the window shapes you have the body in no, way, shape or form resembles a 1g lumina.

Fair enough. The rear angle did turn out looking different, and this is why - When I started screwing around with the blank at that angle, I built up the trunk a tad, maybe would translate to about an inch in real life. The rear quarter panel part is likewise "thicker" than stock (obviously). These "kit" parts wouldn't necessarily require cutting and welding, but could possibly be a lay-over-part, with maybe some rivets or adhesive or whatnot to hold them on.

When I started thinking about beefing up the rear, I worked on each individual section at a time. It's not visible on the finished product, but the rear window is still the same, and the body wouldn't be altered at all to apply the kit (in theory). The kit (should it be built), would be made up of multiple sections that would end up adding a layer to the rear end. You would have to either use some hardcore weatherstripping or apply sealant to the areas where the kit panels actually contacted the body to prevent crap from getting in the spaces.

The kit above was going a bit far, and realistically, the best-looking/most effective kit will most likely be relatively subtle with the changes it makes. As I said before, I don't want to go through with all of this then end up with a challenger or whatever.

I will come up with some silly ideas, and I'm counting on comments like yours to help me keep it on target, so thanks. I'm learning from each idea I come up with.

Alright, in response to skitchin's request, I've finally rendered a front-end view. To fulfill the entire requirements, I'll have to use several different angles to show it all.

I've chosen this particular angle because I have other sports cars with sweet tires in similar angles, so it'll be easier to use those tires.

Oh wait, mustang tires. Any particular style in mind? if not I'll find some good-looking 'stang wheels.

post-3664-143689122108_thumb.jpg

Lol dude, I've already admitted that nothing about any of this project makes sense, and if I had any brains I'd have quit already. Fortunately that's not the case, so... Euro... any requests for the next one?

Eh. I'll provide no help to you in that regard. I don't think I've ever come across an aftermarket body kit to be good looking, whether it be mass produced or custom.

Neither does a stanced out widebody Civic, but not all things in the car world have to make sense, especially most things aesthetic

And that also looks absolutely horrible..

Eh. I'll provide no help to you in that regard. I don't think I've ever come across an aftermarket body kit to be good looking, whether it be mass produced or custom.

Perhaps that's because there are only two body kits available for the lumina? The Z34 body kit has proven to be timeless, as it looks damn good even by today's standards, but the razzi kit belongs in the 80's, and is still hideous by most standards. That may be why there are so many die-hard purists when it comes to altering the look of the lumina, because it's fairly difficult to top the z34 look.

I also think that since there has been relatively little interest or research into aftermarket body kits for older cars, most who want one are forced to adapt one meant for a different car, or make their own, and it's always going to be hit or miss.

I've put 3 different styles of possible kits on here, and have got expected reactions over them. Some like it, some don't and some are undecided. That's life. I'm showing you guys some extreme ideas right now, and reactions are all over the place. Once I start getting good at doing this, I'll attempt to be more subtle, and try to enhance the features of what's already on the luminas, and I'll bet money that more and more people will like them.

Anyhow, here's the front end canvas I'm working on at the moment. I took off most of the bumpers, leaving some reference lines, removed the side marker lights (I really hate those), and the grill and hood vents. I'm also not a fan of the contour lines running horizontally along the car, and will remove those from my car if I can. I really like the smooth look.

post-3664-143689122117_thumb.jpg